|City of license||Mount Pleasant, Michigan|
|Broadcast area||Central Michigan, Northern Lower Peninsula and Northern Michigan|
|Branding||CMU Public Radio|
|First air date||April 6, 1964 (at 90.1 MHz)|
|Format||News/Talk, Classical, Jazz|
|Callsign meaning||Central Michigan University|
|Owner||Central Michigan University|
WCMU-FM is a radio station in the United States, broadcasting at FM 89.5 in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. The station, owned by Central Michigan University, is a National Public Radio member station, airing a large amount of classical and jazz music along with a variety of other programming. The station call letters WCMU are also used to refer to the station network, CMU Public Radio.
CMU Public Radio offers a number of jazz and blues programs, including Nightside Jazz and Blues, Take Five, The Juke Joint and Destination Out. Locally produced weekend programs include Our Front Porch and Homespun. The station was MAB Public Station of the Year for 2002. Staff producers David Nicholas, Rick Westover, Jamie Lynn Gilbert, Sara Bingham and Eileen LaTarte have also won state awards.
Nightside Jazz and Blues is a locally produced Jazz and Blues show featuring music chosen and played by a live Radio DJ.
WCMU-FM was originally a 10-watt campus radio station at 90.1, signing on in April 6, 1964. During its early years the station broadcast a wide variety of programming aimed at the campus population of the university, including classical, popular music, and progressive rock. By 1969 the station was an affiliate of the National Educational Radio Network, which became NPR in 1970, and since then, the station has broadcast primarily classical and jazz music and news. WCMU-FM moved to 89.5 with 100,000 watts of power in the mid-1970s, and in 1978 began to add a series of rebroadcaster stations around central and northern Michigan, beginning with WCML-FM in Alpena.
The station also serves most of Northern Michigan, including the eastern Upper Peninsula, through a network of repeater stations:
|Callsign||Frequency||City of license||Broadcast Area||First air date||Former callsigns|
|WCMB-FM||95.7 FM||Oscoda, MI||||September, 1998||WCMV-FM
|WCML-FM||91.7 FM||Alpena, MI||||April, 1978||none|
|WCMW-FM||103.9 FM||Harbor Springs, MI||||August, 1988 (as WLTO)||WLTO
|WCMZ-FM||98.3 FM||Sault Ste. Marie, MI||||July, 1990||none|
|WWCM||96.9 FM||Standish, MI||||December, 1989 (as WSTD)||off-air
WCMW Harbor Springs and WWCM Standish were both commercial FM stations before joining the CMU Public Radio network. What is now WCMW was originally WLTO, a country music station. 96.9 WSTD in Standish was originally a satellite-fed oldies station and then moved to a full-service Adult Contemporary music format (with simulcasts of the evening news from WNEM-TV 5) until it went dark in November 1999. The 96.9 frequency was donated to CMU Public Radio and it was on the air with WCMU programming a year later.
In addition to the full-power repeater stations listed above, CMU Public Radio is also broadcast on a translator station, W236BU, at 95.1 FM in Traverse City. The translator began operations in 2011, and is listed in the FCC database as a repeater of WCMW-FM Harbor Springs.
WCMU-FM, WCML-FM, WCMW-FM, and WUCX-FM all broadcast in HD Radio. Each of the four CMU Public Radio stations broadcasting in HD also offer an HD-2 side channel featuring an NPR news and talk format; the side channels debuted in January 2012.
- Michiguide.com - WCMU-FM History
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WCMU-FM
- Radio-Locator information on WCMU-FM
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WCMU-FM
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WCMB-FM
- Radio-Locator information on WCMB-FM
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WCMB-FM
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WCML-FM
- Radio-Locator information on WCML-FM
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WCML-FM
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WCMW-FM
- Radio-Locator information on WCMW-FM
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WCMW-FM
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W236BU
- Radio-Locator information on W236BU
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for W236BU
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WCMZ-FM
- Radio-Locator information on WCMZ-FM
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WCMZ-FM
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WWCM
- Radio-Locator information on WWCM
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WWCM