|WEC 49: Varner vs. Shalorus|
|Promotion||World Extreme Cagefighting|
|Date||June 20, 2010|
|City||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
WEC 49 was the only event the organization had held outside of the United States. The show was initially announced as taking place at the Stampede Corral in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. WEC vice-president Peter Dropick, however, confirmed with The StarPhoenix/Canwest News Service that the location was changed on April 10.
Eddie Wineland was scheduled to face Charlie Valencia, but Valencia was forced off the card with an injury. Will Campuzano, who was previously scheduled to face Rafael Rebello on the preliminary card, was announced as Wineland's new opponent. Rebello would face WEC newcomer Chris Cariaso.
Ed Ratcliff was scheduled to face Chris Horodecki, but just days before the event, Ratcliff pulled out of the event with an undiclosed injury. Horodecki would face WEC newcomer Danny Downes. The Horodecki/Ratcliff fight was rescheduled for WEC 51, where Horodecki won via split decision.
After WEC ring announcer Joe Martinez resigned to work for Golden Boy Promotions, UFC announcer Bruce Buffer agreed to handle fighter introductions for WEC 49. Kenny Florian would provide color commentary for the event, as he did at WEC 41 alongside play-by-play announcer Todd Harris.
- Barao defeated Leone via submission (armbar) at 2:29 of round 3.
- Koch defeated Casmir via submission (triangle choke) at 3:01 of round 1. This bout aired on the live broadcast following the Grispi vs. Davis fight.
- Cariaso defeated Rebello via unanimous decision (30–26, 29–28, 29–28).
- Kerr defeated Darabedyan via submission (armbar) at 1:20 of round 1. This bout aired on the live broadcast following the Hominick vs. Jabouin fight.
- Fabiano defeated Gomez via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27).
- Nunes defeated Assunção via split decision (30–27, 29–28, 28–29).
- Wineland defeated Campuzano via TKO (punch to the body) at 4:44 of round 2.
- Horodecki defeated Downes via submission (rear naked choke) at 1:09 of round 3.
- Hominick defeated Jabouin via TKO (punches) at 3:21 of round 2.
- Grispi defeated Davis via technical submission (guillotine choke) at 2:33 of round 1.
- Varner and Shalorus fought to a split draw (29–27, 27–29, 28–28). Shalorus had one point deducted in round 2 for illegal kicks to the groin.
Fighters were awarded $10,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Mark Hominick vs. Yves Jabouin
- Knockout of the Night: Eddie Wineland
- Submission of the Night: Josh Grispi
- "WEC Announces First Event in Canada June 20". wec.tv. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "WEC secures June 20 date for Canadian debut in Calgary". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- "WEC making Canadian debut in Edmonton, not Calgary, on June 20". TheStarPhoenix.com. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- "Charlie Valencia off WEC 49 with injury; Eddie Wineland awaits new opponent". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-05-12.
- "Will Campuzano promoted to WEC 49 main card, meets Eddie Wineland". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-05-18.
- "Newcomer Chris Cariaso meets Rafael Rebello on WEC 49 preliminary card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- "WEC Scrambles for 155er". topmmanews.com. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "WEC Signs Danny Downes to Fight Chris Horodecki at Sunday's WEC 49". mmafrenzy.com. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "UFC's Bruce Buffer handles announcing duties at June's WEC 49 event in Canada". mmajunkie.com. 2010-05-25.
- "UFC's Kenny Florian Takes Commentator Spot for WEC 49". mmafighting.com. 2010-06-02.
- "WEC 49 bonuses: Hominick, Jabouin, Wineland and Grispi each earn $10K awards". MMAJunkie.com. 2010-06-21.