|Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida
|City of license||Tampa, Florida|
|Slogan||West Central Florida's PBS Station|
|Channels||Digital: 13 (VHF)
Virtual: 3 (PSIP)
|Owner||Florida West Coast Public Broadcasting, Inc.|
|First air date||October 17, 1958|
|Call letters' meaning||EDUcation|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
3 (VHF, 1958–2009)
Digital: 54 (UHF, –2009)
|Former affiliations||NET (1958–1970)|
|Transmitter power||25 kW|
|Public license information:||Profile
WEDU, virtual channel 3 (VHF digital channel 13), is a PBS member television station located in Tampa, Florida, United States and also serving the nearby city of St. Petersburg. The station is Florida West Coast Public Broadcasting. WEDU maintains studio facilities located on North Boulevard in Tampa, and its transmitter is located in Riverview, Florida. WEDU is one of two PBS stations in the Tampa Bay market (the other being WUSF-TV, channel 16), and the only one to carry PBS's main programming schedule.
The station first signed on the air on October 17, 1958. For many years, WEDU has been one of the highest-rated stations in the PBS system. At one point, it was the third most-watched PBS member station in the country.
The station's digital channel is multiplexed:
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP Short Name||Programming|
|3.1||720p||16:9||WEDU HD||Main WEDU programming / PBS|
|3.3||World -||World (7 a.m.-7 p.m.)
The Florida Channel (7 p.m.-7 a.m.)
WEDU shut down its analog signal, over VHF channel 3, on February 17, 2009, the original target date for full-power television stations in the United States to transition from analog to digital broadcasts under federal mandate (which Congress had moved the previous month to June 12). The station's digital signal relocated from its pre-transition UHF channel 54, which was among the high band UHF channels (52-69) that were removed from broadcasting use as a result of the transition, to VHF channel 13 on June 12, 2009, after Fox owned-and-operated station WTVT vacated the channel on the rescheduled date of the digital television transition, using PSIP to display the station's virtual channel as its former VHF analog channel 3.
Current on-air staff
- Rob Lorei - host of Florida This Week
- Geoff Simon - host of Suncoast Business Forum
- Cathy Unruh - host of Up Close
- WEDU history section from 2002 archive of Website
- "WEDU.org". Florida West Coast Public Broadcasting, Inc. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- RabbitEars TV Query for WEDU
- Congress delays digital TV switch, but WEDU will switch this month, Eric Deggans, St. Petersburg Times, February 5, 2009
- WEDU FCC DTV status report
- "DTV Tentative Channel Designations for the First and Second Rounds" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- WEDU official website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for WEDU
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on WEDU-TV