|Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida|
|Slogan||West Central Florida's PBS Station|
|Channels||Digital: 13 (VHF)
Virtual: 3 (PSIP)
|Subchannels||(see table in article)|
|Affiliations||PBS (since 1970)|
|Owner||Florida West Coast Public Broadcasting, Inc.|
|First air date||October 17, 1958|
|Call letters' meaning||EDUcation|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
|Former affiliations||NET (1958–1970)|
|Transmitter power||25 kW (VHF digital)|
WEDU is a Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) member Public television station, serving the Tampa Bay DMA in Florida. The station first signed on the air on October 17, 1958. Its transmitter is located in Riverview, Florida.
WEDU is one of two PBS stations in the Tampa Bay market (the other being WUSF), and the only one to carry PBS's main schedule.
For many years, WEDU has been one of the highest-rated stations in the PBS system. At one point, it was the third most-watched PBS station in the country.
WEDU, serving the 16 counties of west central Florida, exists to serve the public good and to aid in the creation of an informed citizenry. Through quality programming using new technologies and community outreach, WEDU fulfills the needs of individuals for education, information, and culture enabling people and communities to connect, to grow, and to lead more fulfilling lives. WEDU educates, informs and enriches lives.
- Cathy Unruh, Up Close
- Geoff Simon, Suncoast Business Forum
- Rob Lorei, Florida This Week
- Angie Moreschi, Smart Health
- Jack Perkins, A Gulf Coast Journal
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP short name||Programming|
|3.1||720p||16:9||WEDU HD||Main WEDU programming / PBS|
|3.3||World -||World (6 am–6 pm)
The Florida Channel (6 pm–6 am)
WEDU ceased analog broadcasts on February 17, 2009.
- WEDU history section from 2002 archive of Website
- "WEDU.org". Florida West Coast Public Broadcasting, Inc. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- Congress delays digital TV switch, but WEDU will switch this month, Eric Deggans, St. Petersburg Times, February 5, 2009
- WEDU FCC DTV status report
- WEDU official website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for WEDU
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on WEDU-TV
|This PBS article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a television station in Florida is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|