|City of license||Montauk, New York|
|First air date||2006|
|ERP||1,700 watts (vertical)
5 watts (horizontal)
|HAAT||91 meters (299 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||W East End Radio|
|Former callsigns||WPKM (2004-2011)|
|Owner||Eastern Tower Corp.|
This station received its original construction permit from the Federal Communications Commission on March 21, 2002. The new station was assigned the WPKM call sign by the FCC on November 26, 2004. WPKM received its license to cover from the FCC on August 30, 2006.
In October 2010, license holder WPKN, Inc., reached an agreement to sell this station to Hamptons Community Radio Corporation for $60,000. The deal was approved by the FCC on December 8, 2010, and the transaction was consummated on June 6, 2011. The station changed its call sign to WEER on June 16, 2011, with a swap with the now-defunct WEEG.
In October 2013 the station was returned to the air, and sold to Eastern Tower Corporation. The sale, at a price of $5,000, was consummated on January 22, 2014. However, only the Left Channel was sold, and the station continues to refrain from broadcasting programming on the Right Channel. It is believed to be the only such broadcast station in the world.
On October 1, 2011, WEER went dark for financial reasons and the licensee filed a request with the FCC for special temporary authority to remain silent. The Commission granted this authority on January 2, 2012, with a scheduled expiration of July 2, 2012. Just days before that deadline, a new application was filed and silent authority was extended through October 2, 2012. Under the terms of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, as a matter of law a radio station's broadcast license is subject to automatic forfeiture and cancellation if they fail to broadcast for one full year.
The station reported that it returned to normal broadcast operations on September 27, 2012. However, power loss and damage from Hurricane Sandy knocked the station off the air again on October 29, 2012. On January 29, 2013, the station was granted a new authority to remain silent with an expiration date on July 28, 2013.
The Hamptons Community Radio website indicates that the group is seeking a buyer for both WEER and another construction permit it holds. As of March 14, 2013[update], the station remains off the air.
As of October 2013, WEER seems to be back on the air, broadcasting modern jazz (1980's/1990's). It does so without benefit of studios, offices or any local presence in the Montauk area. It is not known when the programming will include musical information normally broadcast on the Right Channel of the stereo Left/Right pair.
- O'Reilly, Brendan (November 5, 2008). "FCC approves new East End radio station". The East Hampton Press (East Hampton, NY). Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Call Sign History". CDBS Public Access Database. FCC Media Bureau. June 16, 2011. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- Young, Beth (May 25, 2010). "New radio station will focus on East End community". The East Hampton Press (East Hampton, NY). Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Application Search Details ()". FCC Media Bureau. March 21, 2002. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Application Search Details ()". FCC Media Bureau. August 30, 2006. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Application Search Details (BALED-20101021ACY)". FCC Media Bureau. June 6, 2011. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Application Search Details (BLSTA-20111004ACD)". FCC Media Bureau. January 3, 2012. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Application Search Details (BLESTA-20120629AAE)". FCC Media Bureau. September 6, 2012. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Silent AM and FM Broadcast Station Lists". The FCC Encyclopedia. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Resumption of Operations". FCC Media Bureau. September 28, 2012. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Application Search Details (BLSTA-20121107AEG)". FCC Media Bureau. January 29, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "FM silent stations, silent over 2 months". Federal Communications Commission. March 14, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- Hamptons Community Radio official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WEER
- Radio-Locator information on WEER
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WEER