|City of license||Pell City, Alabama|
|Slogan||"Your Hometown Radio Station"|
|First air date||1956|
|Power||5,000 watts (day only)|
|Owner||Stocks Broadcasting, Inc.|
WFHK (1430 AM) is a radio station licensed to serve the community of Pell City, Alabama, USA. The station broadcasts to the greater Birmingham, Alabama, area. The station is owned by Stocks Broadcasting, Inc. WFHK airs a Country music format and features programming from ABC Radio.
In addition to its usual music format, notable WFHK programming has included a weekday Swap Shop program and The Sunday School Hour each Sunday morning since 1963. The one-hour religious program is 30 minutes of Southern Gospel music followed by 30 minutes of "Sunday School lesson."
In February 1999, St. Clair Broadcasting System, Inc. (Betty Williamson, president) reached an agreement to sell WFHK to Williamson Broadcasting, Inc. (Douglas Williamson, president). The station sold for a reported $10,000. The deal was approved by the FCC on April 14, 1999, and the transaction was consummated on May 14, 1999.
In January 2001, Williamson Broadcasting, Inc., reached an agreement to sell WFHK to Stocks Broadcasting, Inc. The station sold for a reported $275,000. The deal was approved by the FCC on February 27, 2001, and the transaction was consummated on March 1, 2001. Stocks Broadcasting owner Adam Stocks was elected mayor of Pell City in 2004.
Awards and honors
In October 2001, WFHK was named Small Business of the Year for 2001 by the Greater Pell City Chamber of Commerce.
- Norwood, Chris (2007-03-04). "Locally operated radio stations competing with technology". The Daily Home.
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron.
- Hanner, Gary (2003-10-22). "Sunday tradition reaches out over the airwaves". The Daily Home.
- "Application Search Details (BP-10014)". FCC Media Bureau. 1955-11-02.
- "Application Search Details (BAL-19990211GE)". FCC Media Bureau. 1999-05-14.
- Holmes, Alisa (1999-03-22). "Changing Hands - 3/22/1999". Broadcasting & Cable.
- "Application Search Details (BAL-20010110AAD)". FCC Media Bureau. 2001-03-01.
- "Deals - 3/26/2001". Broadcasting & Cable. 2001-03-26.
- Atchison, Laura (2007-11-25). "Santa Claus is coming...Gruff, hard-hitting reporter becomes the Jolly Old Elf". The Daily Home.
- Atchison, David (2001-10-05). "Metro Bank Chamber Industry of Year". The Daily Home.
- WFHK official website
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WFHK
- Radio-Locator Information on WFHK
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WFHK