|Miami–Fort Lauderdale, Florida
|City of license||Miami, Florida|
|Slogan||America TeVe (general)
America Noticias (newscasts)
|Channels||Digital: 48 (UHF)
Virtual: 48 (PSIP)
|Subchannels||48.1 América TeVé
|Owner||America-CV Station Group, Inc.
(America-CV Station Group, Inc.)
|Founded||1995 (as WJAN-CD)|
|First air date||June 23, 1998|
|Call letters' meaning||Likely from the former callsign of WAXY|
|Former callsigns||W27AQ (1989–1998),
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
|Former affiliations||America-CV Network (2007–2012)
MundoFox (August–December 2012)
|Transmitter power||150 kW|
|Height||199 m (653 ft)|
|Public license information:||Profile
WFUN-LD, virtual and UHF digital channel 48, is a Spanish language independent station located in Miami, Florida, United States. The station is owned by América CV Station Group, Inc., and is co-owned with independent station WJAN-LD (channel 41). The two stations share studio facilities located in Hialeah Gardens, and its transmitter is located on West Hallandale Beach Boulevard in the Carver Ranches section of West Park.
The station's license application was first submitted to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1980, but a construction permit was never actually issued until 1988, with a license issued the following year as W27AQ. In June 1998, the station moved to UHF channel 48 and its call letters were changed to W48CI. In early 1999, its calls were changed to WFUN-LP; the station license was later upgraded to Class A status and its calls were altered to WFUN-CA in 2002, before reverting to LPTV status in 2004. In 2009, WFUN flash-cut its digital signal into operation on UHF channel 48.
The station has been through several ownership changes, though some of these transfers in the early 2000s appear to be within the Rodriguez family. On August 13, 2012, WFUN-LD acquired the América TeVé programming and format from WJAN-CD (channel 41), after the latter station became a charter affiliate of MundoFox; most of the América CV-owned stations that joined MundoFox on that date added the América TeVé format on their second digital subchannels, with the exception of Puerto Rico-based WKPV and WIRS, which broadcast TeVé on their main channels. However, MundoFox's affiliation with WJAN/WFUN would end on December 28, 2012 as the network moved its Miami affiliation to Key West-based WGEN-TV (channel 8).
Due to the loss of the MundoFox affiliation, on January 28, 2013, WJAN-CD and WFUN-LD launched a new programming format called Teveo, which is stylized as a 24-hour news channel that airs each weekday from 5:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. and weekends from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m. "Teveo" carries all of the station's live newscasts, along with rebroadcasts of its 6:00 and 11:00 p.m. newscasts and its public affairs programs including A Mano Limpia and Sevcec a Fondo. It also added live weekday hour-long 7:00 and 9:00 p.m. newscasts on that date, making it the only station in South Florida with newscasts in those timeslots (the 9:00 p.m. newscast was later canceled on April 12, 2013 to make way for a news/talk program that debuted the following Monday). On weekends, "Teveo" carries a "week-in-review" selection of its news programs. Paid programming is shown at other times of the day. The channel is simulcast on WFUN digital channel 48.2, and is carried on Comcast channel 82, Atlantic Broadband channel 3 and AT&T U-verse channel 41.
The station's digital channel is multiplexed:
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP Short Name||Programming|
|48.1||720p||16:9||WFUN-LD||Main WFUN-LD programming / Teveo|
|48.2||WJAN-CD||América TeVé (simulcast of WJAN-CD)|
WFUN-LD presently broadcasts 17½ hours of locally produced news and talk programming each week (with 3½ hours on weekdays); WFUN-LD's news department, whose newscasts are titled America Noticias, only produces local newscasts on weeknights, with no live news broadcasts on weekends. In addition, the station produces the newsmagazine Arrebatados (which airs weekdays at 4:00 p.m.) and two news/talk programs, Sevcec a Fondo (which airs weeknights at 8:00 p.m.) and A Mano Limpia (which airs weeknights at 9:00 p.m.).
WFUN-LD is the only remaining station in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale market that continues to produce its local newscasts in 4:3 standard definition – even though as of April 2013, select programs are broadcast in high definition, the station maintains HD camera equipment, and on-air graphics and station promos are presented in the format. All of the station's live newscasts are also shown on Teveo, the station's 24-hour news format, each weekday from 5:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. and weekends from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m.
- Weekday newscasts are consisted of:
- AN|5 - 5:00-6:00 p.m. (otherwise known as America Noticias a las 5:00)
- AN|6 - 6:00-6:30 p.m. (otherwise known as America Noticias a las 6:00 - repeated at 6:30 p.m. on Teveo)
- AN|7 - 7:00-8:00 p.m. (otherwise known as America Noticias a las 7:00 - shown only on Teveo)
- AN|10 - 10:00-10:30 p.m. (otherwise known as America Noticias a las 10:00)
- Al Cierre - 11:00-11:30 p.m. (otherwise known as America Noticias al Cierre - repeated at 11:30 p.m. on Teveo)
- WFUN-LD also produces several programs under its news department.
- Arrebatados - weekdays at 4:00 p.m. (news magazine)
- Sevcec a Fondo - weeknights at 8:00 p.m. (news/talk - also shown on Teveo)
- A Mano Limipia - weeknights at 9:00 p.m. (news/talk - exclusively on Teveo)
- El Espejo - weeknights at 10:30 p.m. (news/talk - also shown on Teveo)
Current on-air staff
- Juan Manuel Cao - weeknights at 5:00 and 7:00 p.m.; also host of El Espejo at 10:30 p.m.
- Yossie Galindo - weeknights at 5:00 and 7:00 p.m.
- Yelenis Reina - weeknights at 6:00 p.m.
- Alejandra Molina - weeknights at 6:00 and 10:00 p.m.
- Felix Guillermo - weeknights at 10:00 p.m.; also host of A Mano Limpia at 9:00 p.m. (on Teveo; was a former WSCV 51 journalist)
- Luisiana Rios - weeknights at 11:00 p.m.
- Weather team
- Javier Serrano - chief meteorologist; weeknights at 5:00, 6:00, 7:00, 10:00 and 11:00 p.m.
- Marlen Gonzalez - fill-in weathercaster
- Sports team
- Yiki Quintana - sports director; weeknights at 5:00 and 10:00 p.m. (also serves as Spanish play-by-play announcer for the Miami Marlins on WAQI with Felo Ramirez)
- Roly Martin - weeknight 5:00 and 10:00 p.m. fill-in sports anchor (usually serves as a substitute for Quintana, due to his Spanish play-by-blay commitments with the Marlins)
- Francisco Blavia - sports anchor; weeknights at 6:00 and 7:00 p.m.
- Local program hosts
- Maria Laria - host of Arrebatados
- Felix Guillermo - host of A Mano Limpia
- Oscar Phizyk - co-host of Arrebatados
- Pedro Sevcec - host of Sevcec a Fondo (formerly anchor of Noticiero Telemundo)
Former on-air staff
- Oscar Haza - talk show host (2003−2013; resigned from America Teve and left after breach of contract and damages over unpaid salary; left for WSBS-TV)
- MundoFox leaves America Teve (WJAN/WFUN) for GENTV (WGEN)
- RabbitEars TV Query for WFUN
- Haza quits America TeVe Media Moves, March 18, 2013
- Haza sues America Teve Media Moves, March 20, 2013