|City of license||Plainfield, Vermont|
|Broadcast area||Central Vermont|
|First air date||1973|
|ERP||1,700 watts (Legal)
920 watts (Actual)
|Callsign meaning||W GoDdard College Radio|
|Former callsigns||WGOD |
|Affiliations||Pacifica Radio Network|
|Owner||Goddard College Corporation|
WGDR (91.1 FM) is a noncommercial American radio station licensed to Plainfield, Vermont, serving central Vermont. WGDR, owned by Goddard College Corporation, is a hybrid college/community/public radio station, broadcasting a freeform format. Founded in 1973, it is the oldest non-commercial community radio station in Vermont.
The station broadcasts a mix of music and public affairs programming produced by local volunteers from northern and central Vermont, plus Pacifica Radio programming. It was one of only a handful of radio stations in the U.S. to broadcast news from the English-language international channel of the Qatar-based TV network Al Jazeera, until the network launched a separate U.S.-based channel, Al Jazeera America, in August 2013. The broadcast radius is from 20 to 25 miles (32 to 40 km). There are 65 on-air volunteers on the staff.
In 2009, WGDR received a My Source Community Impact Award (an award created by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting) for its Community Broadcast Training program. That same year, the station was granted a construction permit by the Federal Communications Commission to build a second transmission tower near Hardwick, Vermont and operate on a second frequency to reach a much wider area of northern and central Vermont.
On March 1, 2011, the FCC granted an operating license to the new station, which began full-power regular broadcasting on March 7, 2011. The new station, assigned the call letters WGDH, broadcasts at 91.7 FM, simulcasting with WGDR.
- "Call Letter Origins". Radio History on the Web.
- "About WGDR". WGDR official website. Retrieved 2009-03-26.
- "WGDR Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "WGDR Station Information Profile". Arbitron.
- Hallenbeck, Brent (20 May 2010). "Voice of the People". Burlington, Vermont: Burlington Free Press. pp. 1D.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WGDR
- Radio-Locator information on WGDR
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WGDR
|This article about a radio station in Vermont is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|