|City of license||Conway, South Carolina|
|Broadcast area||Myrtle Beach, South Carolina|
|Branding||Fox Sports Radio 1050|
|Translator(s)||101.9 W270BZ (Conway)|
|First air date||1977 (as WJAL)|
|Power||5,000 watts day
473 watts night
|Former callsigns||WJAL (1977-?)
WJXY (until 11/16/2000)
WIQB (11/16/2000 - 04/30/2010)
|Affiliations||Fox Sports Radio|
|Sister stations||WJXY-FM, WDAI, WSYN, WLFF, WSEA|
WHSC originally signed on as WJAL in 1977 in Conway, South Carolina. A few years later the call sign became WJXY, a call sign that stayed with the station for many years. WJXY, at one time, was a daytime-only Country music station in the 1970s. An FM frequency at 93.9 was added around 1990, at which time the AM switched to Southern gospel. In 1995, the format changed to adult standards, with most of the music coming from the AM Only satellite format. By this time the station had a limited nighttime signal.
In Fall 1999, Hurricane Floyd damaged WJXY's studios and transmitter site and forced WJXY-FM, WXJY and WSEA to move to the WSYN/WDAI studios near Inlet Square Mall. At the time WJXY aired Conway High School football; those games moved to WRNN-FM. WJXY was off the air for several months. Early in 2000, the station was back, but not in stereo. Many listeners had complained.
On April 30, 2010, WIQB switched to southern gospel and changed its letters to WHSC.
On March 5, 2012, WHSC became the new Myrtle Beach affiliate of Fox Sports Radio. Dan Patrick will air live in the market rather than on tape, and Jim Rome will follow. WHSC becomes the new station for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans.
- "Call Sign History". Retrieved 2011-01-25.
- Toby Eddings, "WJXY-AM silent thanks to Floyd," The Sun News, Oct. 3, 1999.
- Toby Eddings, "Holli Heart replaces Tab Allen at WYAK," The Sun News, Jan. 16, 2000.
- Ryan Elswick, "ESPN Radio to Return to Strand," The Sun News, January 26, 2003.
- Kelly, Amanda (2012-02-28). "ESPN Radio moves, grows on the Grand Strand". The Sun News. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WHSC
- Radio-Locator Information on WHSC
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WHSC
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W270BZ
- Radio-Locator information on W270BZ