|City of license||Riviera Beach, Florida|
|Broadcast area||West Palm Beach, Florida|
|First air date||August 17, 1959|
|Power||5,000 watts day
4,700 watts night
|Former callsigns||WHEW (1959-c. 1971)
WXVI (c. 1971-1972)
WPOM (c. 1972-1999)
|Owner||Travis Media, LLC
(Travis License Partners, LLC)
WHTY (1600 AM) is a radio station broadcasting ethnic programming. Licensed to Riviera Beach, Florida, USA, the station serves the West Palm Beach area. The station is currently owned by Travis Media.
The station went on the air as WHEW on August 17, 1959. By 1971, the station was known as WXVI, with a middle-of-the-road format; a year later, it had become WPOM, and had a contemporary format. In the intervening years, WPOM would adopt several other formats, including all-news in the late 1970s, disco in the early 1980s, and a split format of gospel and blues by 1999.
Hibernia Broadcasting, whose stations were all affiliated with Radio Disney, acquired WPOM in 1999, and switched the station to Radio Disney on June 16, 1999; to better reflect the format, the station adopted the WMNE callsign, referring to Minnie Mouse, on July 9. Hibernia was acquired by Disney, through ABC, in 2000.
Disney sold WMNE to Travis Media, LLC in January 2010. In the interim, Disney took the station, and five other stations slated to be sold, off the air on January 22. The station resumed broadcasting on May 6; on June 2, the call letters were changed to WHTY.
- "WHTY Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1960 (PDF). 1960. p. A-133. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1971 (PDF). 1971. p. B-46. Retrieved January 26, 2010.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1972 (PDF). 1972. p. B-46. Retrieved January 26, 2010.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1976 (PDF). 1976. p. C-43. Retrieved January 26, 2010.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1980 (PDF). 1980. p. C-49. Retrieved January 26, 2010.
- Lundy, Sarah (June 18, 1999). "Mickey Mouse Takes Over WPOM". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved January 26, 2010.
- "WMNE Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "Palladium Equity Partners to Sell Hibernia Communications' Radio Stations To ABC, Inc." (Press release). Palladium Equity Partners. June 29, 2000. Retrieved January 26, 2010.
- "Disney sells West Palm Beach radio station". Radio Business Report. January 25, 2010. Retrieved January 26, 2010.
- "Radio Disney Takes Six Stations Silent". All Access. January 28, 2010. Retrieved January 29, 2010.
- Zucker, John W (January 26, 2010). "Notification of Suspension of Operations / Request for Silent STA". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved January 29, 2010.
- Tillotson, David (June 21, 2010). "Resumption of Operations". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved September 25, 2010.
- Official website
- Former station website
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WHTY
- Radio-Locator Information on WHTY
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WHTY
|This article about a radio station in Florida is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|