Wildlife! is the alias of Swiss DJ, music producer and sound artist Samuel Riot (born Samuel Reinhard on September 10, 1980 in Bern, Switzerland). He first came to public attention for his musical productions on Terry Lynn's debut album Kingstonlogic 2.0.
|Years active||2008 – present|
|Labels||Mixpak Records, Man Recordings, Enchufada, Phree Music|
|Associated acts||Terry Lynn|
- In 1999 Samuel Riot founded the dancehall soundsystem Goldrush International.[Ref 1] He started travelling to Jamaica on a regular basis in order to record dubplate specials with international reggae and dancehall artists such as John Holt, Max Romeo, Beenie Man, Bounty Killer, Buju Banton or Vybz Kartel.[Ref 2] Early career highlights included several tours in Europe and Western Africa, and a performance at David Rodigan's 25th Anniversary Bash (in 2003), where Goldrush International shared stage with international top soundsystems such as Stone Love, Bass Odyssey, Killamanjaro and David Rodigan himself.
- Samuel Riot made his first appearance under the Wildlife! moniker in 2008 as producer of several tracks for Terry Lynn's debut album Kingstonlogic 2.0. The album was unanimously praised by global press such as The New York Times, The Guardian, VICE, XLR8R, The Fader and was listed no. 35 on Spex magazine's Top 50 albums list of 2008.[Ref 3]
- The music video of The System, one of the tracks Wildlife! produced on Kingstonlogic 2.0, was listed No. 12 on Spin magazine's Top 20 music videos list of 2008.[Ref 4]
- Terry Lynn's song IMF, also produced by Wildlife! was featured in season 5, episode 17 of CSI: NY.
- In 2009 Wildlife! signed to Phree Music. In November 2009 he released his debut EP Jumbie. The EP included remixes by Schlachthofbronx, Edu K and Mixhell (electronica project of Igor Cavalera, Sepultura's ex-drummer, and his wife Laima Leyton).
- In September 2010 Wildlife!'s track "Metazoa" was released as part of the "Hard As Sessions" on Enchufada records, the label ran by Buraka Som Sistema members João Barbosa and Kalaf Ângelo.
- In November 2010 Wildlife!'s released "Buckup", the follow-up EP to his debut release "Jumbie" on Phree Music. The EP featured vocals from legendary Jamaican artists Major Mackerel and Sammy Dread and also Terry Lynn. In addition to Wildlife!'s production the EP also included remixes from British producer L-VIS 1990, German producer Adam Port and French producers French Fries and Douster.
- Terry Lynn's song "In This Time", produced by Tricky & Wildlife! was featured in season 1, episode 13 of Nikita (TV series).
- In Mai 2012 Wildlife! released "Pastiche EP" on Daniel Haaksman's Man Recordings imprint. The EP featured collaborations with Buraka Som Sistema member J-Wow (João Barbosa), Toddla T and Daniel Haaksman himself.
- Terry Lynn's song "System", produced by Wildlife! was featured in Sleeping Dogs (video game).
- On March 4 2013, Wildlife! released the concept album "Roxy Reboot" on Phree Music. For "Roxy Reboot", Wildlife! tracked down figures from the UK’s 1970s punk rock movement to reinterpret reggae classics, and simultaneously collaborated with Jamaican dancehall artists, to reinterpret classic punk rock songs. The album featured T.V. Smith (The Adverts), Knox (The Vibrators), Charlie Harper (U.K. Subs), Duncan "Kid" Reid & Honest John Plain (The Boys), Ward 21, Serocee, Natalie Storm and Terry Lynn.
- On March 5th 2013, Wildlife!'s "Klouds" was released as part of the "Mixpak Pressure Vol. 2" compilation on Dre Skull's Mixpak Records imprint. The track was premiered on the Spin magazine website on February 17th.
- On May 21st 2013, Phree Music released Wildlife!'s "Roxy Reboot Remixed" album featuring an international cast of remixers such as Luckybeard (Francesco "Phra" Barbaglia aka Crookers), Ital Tek, Optimum, Sam Tiba, Poirier and others. Ital Tek's remix of Wildlife!'s "Oh Bondage Up Yours" was premiered on the XLR8R magazine website on May 13th.
- On June 17th 2013, Wildlife!'s "PC Riddim" was released as part of the "Upper Cuts Volume 1" compilation on Buraka Som Sistema's Enchufada imprint.
- On October 28th 2014, Wildlife! and British producer Murlo's collaborative production "Control" was released as part of the "Pak Man" compilation, a joint venture release of Brooklyn based label Mixpak Records and Berlin based imprint Man Recordings.
- Roxy Reboot (Phree Music, 2013)
- Roxy Reboot Remixed (Phree Music, 2013)
- Jumbie (Phree Music, 2009)
- Buckup (Phree Music, 2010)
- Pastiche (Man Recordings, 2012)
- Pastiche Remixes (Man Recordings, 2012)
Production & Remixes
- Terry Lynn - The System (Phree Music & Last Gang Records, 2008)
- Terry Lynn - IMF (Phree Music & Last Gang Records, 2008)
- Terry Lynn - Screaming In The Night (Phree Music & Last Gang Records, 2008)
- Terry Lynn - Streetlife (Phree Music & Last Gang Records, 2008)
- The Dø - On My Shoulders (Wildlife! Remix) (Get Down, 2009)
- Radioclit - Secousse (Wildlife! Remix) (Mental Groove, 2009)
- Edu K - Jumpin & Pumpin (Wildlife! Remix) (Scattermusic, 2009)
- Beware & Motorpitch - Pororoca (Wildlife! Remix) (Man Recordings, 2010)
- Poirier - 90s Backyard (Wildlife! Remix) (Ninja Tune, 2010)
- The Very Best - Ntende Uli (Wildlife! Remix) (Moshi Moshi, 2010)
- Act Yo Age - Ayoo (Wildlife! Remix) (Southern Fried Records, 2010)
- Wildlife! - Metazoa (Enchufada, 2010)
- The Very Best ft. Moroka - Ndekha (Wildlife! Remix) (TVB, 2011)
- Jogyo - Rudeboy (Wildlife! Remix) (Dither Down, 2012)
- Wildlife! - Klouds (Mixpak Records, 2013)
- Wildlife! ft. Rapha - PC Riddim (Enchufada, 2013)
- Murlo & Wildlife! - Control (Mixpak Records/Man Recordings, 2014)
- Streetlife (Terry Lynn, produced by Wildlife!) on Harper's Globe (2009)
- IMF (Terry Lynn, produced by Wildlife!) on CSI: NY, Season 5 - Episode 17 (2009)
- In This Time (Terry Lynn, produced by Tricky & Wildlife!) on Nikita (TV series), Season 1 - Episode 13 (2011)
- System (Terry Lynn, produced by Wildlife!) on Sleeping Dogs (video game), (2012)