|City of license||Rochester, New York|
|Callsign meaning||West Irondequiot Radio Quality|
|Owner||West Irondequoit Central School District|
WIRQ began broadcasting in January 1960. Originally at 90.9 MHz, the station moved to 93.3 MHz in 1981, then in the early 1990s moved to 94.3 MHz for several years before moving again to 104.7 MHz. In mid February 2011 the station moved frequency yet again, back to its original 90.9 MHz.
March 1983 marked the beginnings of the station's Alternative format. Before then, the station had been mostly block-programmed.
WIRQ broadcasts their Alternative format during school hours (8:00AM to 3:00PM, Monday to Friday). The Station also broadcasts under the WBER radio frequency from 3:00PM to 4:00PM during the school year, Monday through Friday. At the end of the 2010 school year, an automation system was set up to broadcast between 4:00PM and 8:00AM. Although there have been several versions and minor technical difficulties along the way, the WIRQ automation system has become a station icon in its own right.
Station Board Members, 2013-2014 School Year
- Station Manager: Ty McHugh
- Program Director: Josh Deutsch
- Music Director: John Grande
- Business Director: David Desilet
- Activities Director: Abby Frawley
- Executive Members: Sam Nells, Peter Martin, Dan Nordquist
- Webmaster: Jake Bigenwald
- WIRQ Advisor: Mr. Peter Nowak
Prior to December 2011, WIRQ DJs hosted specialty shows from 4:00PM to 6:00PM, but those have now been moved to the regular broadcasting hours between 8:00AM and 3:00PM. These shows play music from a certain genre or time period and each DJ has the opportunity to do one specialty show a week in addition to their regularly scheduled radio show.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WIRQ
- Radio-Locator information on WIRQ
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WIRQ
- WIRQ website
|This article about a radio station in New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|