|City of license||Miami Beach, Florida|
|Broadcast area||Miami area|
|Slogan||Where Ministry Blesses Many|
|First air date||1957(as WAHR)|
|Power||1,000 watts fulltime|
|Callsign meaning||Where Ministry Blesses Many|
|Former callsigns||WSBH (1993-?)|
|Owner||New Birth Broadcasting Corp. Inc.|
WMBM (1490 AM) is a radio station broadcasting a Gospel format. Licensed to Miami Beach, Florida, USA, the station serves the Miami area. The station is currently owned by New Birth Broadcasting Corp. Inc. and features programing from Westwood One.
The station went on the air from Miami Beach in 1957 as WAHR. Noted talk show host Larry King began his career. The station was later renamed WMET and in the early 1960s and was South Florida's first full-time Spanish language radio station. Shortly thereafter, the WMET call letters and programming moved to another frequency and this station became WMBM, under the programming leadership of Ernie Fields went on to develop a large and popular history as Miami's premier AM station for Rhythm and Blues, Gospel, and programming targeted to an African-American audience. Motivational speaker Les Brown was a disc jockey on WMBM. The station became WSBH on July 23, 1993 with a Talk format. On March 10, 1995, the station changed its call sign to the current WMBM and returned to a Gospel format, which the station had for much of the 80s. Its current prime time DJ's include Bishop Victor T. Curry, Jerry Sawyer, Milton MJ Smith, Jose Miller, Kevin Moyd, Lydia Goodin, Joe Riley, Rev. CJ Kelley, Greg Cooper, and Tiffany Robinson. Jerry Sawyer and Milton MJ Smith were one of the first radio D.J.s to play and interview Soul & Gospel artist Freddie Lee Peterkin.
- "WMBM Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- King, Larry (2001). Larry King on Getting Seduced. Interview with Cal Fussman. Blank on Blank. PBS Digital Studios. Los Angeles. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- "WMBM Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WMBM
- Radio-Locator Information on WMBM
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WMBM
|This article about a radio station in Florida is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|