|City of license||Oxford, Ohio|
|Owner||Miami University (operated by Cincinnati Public Radio under outsourcing agreement)|
WMUB is a public radio station licensed to Miami University, in Oxford, Ohio, USA. It produced local programming for 59 years until March 1, 2009, when it became a part of Cincinnati Public Radio. The station serves southwest Ohio and southeast Indiana. WMUB started as a student-operated station in the 1940s and turned FM in 1950. Once known for its “Rhythm and News”, it is now a full-time satellite of WVXU in Cincinnati. It primarily serves areas north of Cincinnati where the main WVXU signal is weak.
The station operates via a 24,500-watt transmitter located on Taylor Road in Butler County.
WMUB was historically a resource to enable students studying broadcasting and journalism to train in reporting and on-air delivery. The station used to produce two local newscasts, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. These were reduced in the late 1990s to short news breaks during NPR’s Morning Edition and All Things Considered. Miami University is currently[when?] working with Cincinnati Public Radio to develop new opportunities for student journalists.
In January 2007, the University President, David C. Hodge, charged a committee to explore alternatives to address budgetary and technological challenges for WMUB. The university owns the radio station’s license and covered nearly 62 percent of its $1.7 million budget. The committee released its report in fall 2007 and strongly recommended pursuing and developing regional connections with other existing non-commercial stations and building on connections with appropriate academic programs within the university.
In January 2009, the university announced that it was turning operation of the station over to Cincinnati Public Radio effective March 1, 2009. Seven people lost their jobs because of this change.
- "Miami University Provost report". Archived from the original on October 13, 2007. Retrieved March 29, 2008.
- "Miami News". Retrieved March 29, 2008.
- "Waymark". Retrieved March 29, 2008.
- "Jazz fans tune in to Mama"
- "Mama Jazz Streaming on the Internet"
- "Program Guide". Retrieved March 29, 2008.
- WMUB committee offers common sense solutions - Editorials
- DaytonDailyNews: Dayton, Ohio, news and information
- Kiesewetter, John. "WVXU-WGUC Taking Over WMUB-FM", Cincinnati Enquirer, January 22, 2009. Accessed March 31, 2009.