W. M. Hunt
W.M. Hunt is a photography collector, curator and consultant who lives and works in New York. Founding partner of the prominent photography gallery Hasted Hunt (now Hasted Kraeutler) in Chelsea, Manhattan, and former director of photography at Ricco/Maresca gallery, Hunt has been collecting photography for over 35 years. He is a professor at the School of Visual Arts and has been profiled in The New York Times, Art on Paper, Modern Painters (magazine), The Art Newspaper, PBS' EGG, the Arts Show, as well as BBC's The Genius of Photography and elsewhere. His upcoming book "The Unseen Eye" (Aperture, Thames & Hudson, Actes Sud) focuses on Collection Dancing Bear, currently his largest collection of photographs.
W.M. Hunt is on the Board of Directors of the W. Eugene Smith Memorial Fund and The Center for Photography at Woodstock, New York where he was the recipient of their Vision Award in 2009. He also served on the Board of Directors of AIPAD (Association of International Photography Art Dealers) and was the past Chairman of Photographers + Friends United Against AIDS.
During his time as director of photography at Ricco/Maresca gallery and as former curator at Hasted Hunt, W.M. Hunt debuted and represented artists including Wilson Bentley, Elinor Carucci, Luc Delahaye, Jean-Paul Goude, Lisette Model, Erwin Olaf, Eugene Richards, Martin Schoeller, Alex Webb, Joel-Peter Witkin and others.
Selected Curated Exhibitions
- "Delirium" Ricco/Maresca, New York, 1995
- "Grace" The Center for Photography at Woodstock, 1996
- "Sans Regard or No Eyes: Photographs from W.M. Hunt / Collection Dancing Bear" Rencontres de la Photographie, Arles, France, 2005
- "San Regard: La Collection Dancing Bear de W.M. Hunt" Musée de l'Élysée, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2006
- "Eye: The Dancing Bear Collection of W.M. Hunt" Foam Fotografiemuseum Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2007
- "VII @ Galapagos" New York Photo Festival, New York, 2008 
- "RE: groups" Houston Center for Photography, Houston, 2010
- "The Unseen Eye" Appleton Museum of Art, Florida, 2010
- "I Get A Sickening Feeling Every Time I Think Of It - Ten from 2010" VII Gallery, DUMBO, Brooklyn, 2010
- "Photographs from the W.M. Hunt Collection exhibition is largest ever for George Eastman House"
- Hauser, Michelle "Leisure of Looking: A Pedestrian View in a High-Speed Era", 2010
- Puckett-Rinella, Judith (2012-01-04). "Sights for Sore Eyes". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-09-08.
- “Passion and Practicalties in Collecting Photographs" by Charles Hagen, The New York Times, July 9, 1993
- “Eyes Only – Collecting Photos with Bill Hunt”, by Lyle Rexer, Art on Paper, Jan/Fed 2006
- “Eyeless in Arles” by Vince Aletti, Modern Painters, July/Aug 2005
- Art Newspaper "Video: Bill Hunt, Hasted Hunt Gallery"
- Cotter, Holland "Art in Review"
- "Oog - Eye: The Dancing Bear collection of W.M.Hunt"
- Photographie.com "Entretien avec Bill Hunt"
- Houston Center for Photography "RE: groups"
- Appleton Museum of Art "The Unseen Eye"
- VII "I Get A Sickening Feeling Every Time I Think Of It"
- Conscientious Extended: A Conversation with Bill Hunt
- MOSSLESS Interviews: WM Hunt (video)
- Ciel Variable: Hide and Seek in a Photograph Collection
- World Photo Org's Real Stories: Interview with Bill Hunt (video)
- France 2: Le Festival De Photos D'Arles (video) (French)
- Rencontres de la Photographie à Arles 2005 / I am the collection / W.M. Hunt
- New York Photo Festival 2008 / Interview with Bill Hunt (video)
- WM Hunt