GeoPlanet is a computer platform for coordinating world-wide geographic information, and providing both text and cartographic output, such as digital maps for any location in the world. It provides a location infrastructure for search engines, portals and both Web and WAP sites. It was developed by GDC, a London based geographic information company, which was acquired by Whereonearth in 1998. When Whereonearth spun off GDC in 2002, it kept GeoPlanet. When Yahoo! purchased Whereonearth in 2005, it acquired GeoPlanet.
An integral part of GeoPlanet is the WOEID (Where On Earth IDentifier), a unique 32-bit reference identifier, now assigned by Yahoo!, that identifies any feature on Earth. WOEID is used by a number of web applications, such as zWeather. GeoPlanet has a java library that provides access to the GeoPlanet API, including WOEIDs.
In addition to the strict numerical WOEID, GeoPlanet also has a hierarchical structure that allows accessing surrounding locations, and zooming up and down administrative divisions.
In 2009, Yahoo! released GeoPlanet's WOEID data to the public, but the last release was on 1 June 2012 after which Yahoo! decided to cease making the data downloadable until they "determine a better way to surface the data as a part of the service".
- "Tech Update: GeoPlanet". Internet Magazine 2002 (March): 21. 2002.
- "Free geo data solutions compared: GeoNames.org vs. Yahoo! GeoPlanet". Cosmo Code. 24 January 2010.
- "Open for business". GEO Europe 2001 (September): 46. 2001.
- "Whereonearth has completed the spin-off of GDC through a successful management buyout". GEO: connexion 2 (1): 62. 2002.
- "Yahoo Buys Whereonearth To Bolster Local Search". TechDirt. 18 October 2005. Archived from the original on 25 June 2014.
- "Directory of Companies, Applications, and Organizations". Release 2.0 0 (10): 43. 2008.
- "Yahoo! WOEID Lookup". http://Zourbuth Project.
- "zWeatherFeed - Weather Feed Using WOEID Locations". Zazar.
- "jGeoPlanet - the Java library for the Yahoo! GeoPlanet API". winterwell Associates.
- "Yahoo! GeoPlanet™ Data". Yahoo!. Archived from the original on 25 June 2014.
- "GeoPlant: Key Concepts". Yahoo!.
- "WOEIDs in Twitter's Trends". Twitter Engineering. 4 February 2010. Archived from the original on 11 February 2013.
|This cartography or mapping term article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|