|City of license||Syracuse, New York|
|Broadcast area||Syracuse metropolitan area|
|Frequency||1490 kHz (also on HD Radio)|
|First air date||May 5, 1940|
|Transmitter coordinates||Coordinates: (center of 2 towers)|
|Former callsigns||WNNR (April – October 1989)
WNYR (October 1988 – April 1989)
WOLF (1940 – 1981?)
|Owner||Craig Fox (91,1%)
(WOLF Radio, Inc.)
|Sister stations||WMBO, WMVN (FM), WWLF-FM (WOLF-FM simulcast)|
WOLF (1490 AM) is a Classic hits formatted broadcast radio station licensed to Syracuse, New York, serving the Syracuse metropolitan area. The station is 91,1% owned by Craig Fox, who also owns several other radio and low-power TV stations in the state of New York. The WOLF broadcast license is held by WOLF Radio, Inc.
WOLF first signed on in Syracuse shortly after the start of World War II. Like all local-channel AMs, it was initially limited to only 250 watts of power. During the early 1960s it was permitted to raise daytime power to 1,000 watts, and increased night power to 1,000 watts a decade later along with nearly all other local-channel (class C) AM stations in the United States. It long programmed a personality popular music format, and for many years was highly competitive within its signal area with stronger regional (class B) signals from similarly formatted stations including WNDR and WFBL, although it was unable to achieve full metropolitan coverage especially after sunset.
Past radio personalities at WOLF include:
- Dick Clark
- Jim Sims
- Fred Winston (Chicago)
- Bud Ballou and Dale Dorman (Buffalo, Boston)
- Marv Albert and Don Bombard (New York)
- Wendell "Windy" Craig (CBS Evening News)
In the mid-2000s, the stations (WOLF and WWLF) were simulcast with sister stations WOLF-FM and WWLF-FM, making them two of the few Radio Disney affiliates on the FM dial. In December 2006, the FM stations split off and flipped to the MOViN format. The AMs remained affiliated with Radio Disney.
In December 2013, WMBO dropped the WOLF simulcast and flipped to all-Beatles programming. On February 1, 2014, Radio Disney (as part of its phaseout of terrestrial broadcasting) canceled its affiliation with WOLF, which resulted in the station going off-the-air as it transitions to a new format, originally slated according to FCC filings to happen in August 2014. When the station returns, it may also have an FM simulcast on 93.9 FM; that broadcast translator license is held by Pathway Community Radio, one of Fox's numerous shell companies. WOLF was the last Radio Disney station not owned by the ABC, Inc. subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. As of January 2015, the station was still silent, but temporarily signed on with a simulcast of WNDR-FM to keep the station's license active.
- Christiano, Bob (2006-12-24). "Historical Look at WOLF 1490: The WOLF Story". The WOLF 1490 Tribute Site. pp. Part 1. Retrieved 2007-10-19.
- "WOLF(AM)". FCCInfo. Cavell, Mertz & Associates, Inc. 2007-10-16. Retrieved 2007-10-19. Using NAD83 coordinates instead of FCC standard NAD27 because NAD83 is closer to WGS-84.
- Christiano, Bob (2006-12-24). "Historical Look at WOLF 1490: The WOLF Story". The WOLF 1490 Tribute Site. pp. Part 2. Retrieved 2007-10-19.
Listeners' Network ... bought WOLF in January 1981 from Deer River Broadcasting. In July of last year, WOLF switched from Top 40 to country and western format.
- Wolf Radio, Inc. (2013-12-16). "FCC 323: Ownership Report For Commercial Broadcast Stations - 20131216AAU". Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "WOLF Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- All-Christmas “Holly-FM” stunting changes to all-Beatles format - CNYRadio.com
- WNDR’s Holly Gives Way To Beatles For Now - Radio Insight
- "Notification of Suspension of Operations / Request for Silent STA". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- WOLF goes dark - Radio Insight.
- Fybush, Scott (January 12, 2015). Salary Controversy Ousts Public TV Exec. NorthEast Radio Watch. Retrieved January 12, 2015. Fybush placed a free copy of this column on his Facebook account.
- The WOLF 1490 Tribute Site
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WOLF
- Radio-Locator Information on WOLF
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WOLF