The WOMEX Awards also known as World Music Expo Award is an established award for World music. It was first introduced in 1999 to honor the high points of world music on an international level and to acknowledge musical excellence, social importance, commercial success, political impact and lifetime achievement. Every October at the WOMEX event, the award figurine - an ancient mother goddess statue dating back about 6000 years to the Neolithic age - is presented in an award ceremony to a worthy member of the world music community.
In 2008 the Award concept was refined and two awards were offered: one for Artists and one for Professional Excellence.
The WOMEX Top Label Award was created in 2006 as a joint project with World Music Charts Europe (WMCE). The selection for the WOMEX Top Label Award is made using the charts of 47 radio broadcasters from 24 countries collected over 12 months from October to September.
WOMEX Awards for Artists)
|1999||Juan de Marcos González &
|2001||Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan|
|2004||Marc Hollander &
|2006||Totó La Momposina||World Circuit (UK)|
|2007||Andy Palacio &
|2008||Muzsikás||Folk Music Department
of the Sibelius Academy
|2009||Staff Benda Bilili||Christian Mousset||Crammed Discs (Belgium)|
|2010||Danyel Waro||Ian A. Anderson||World Village
(France / USA / UK / Spain)
(of Harmonia Mundi)
|2011||Hugh Masekela||Francis Falceto||World Village
Le Chant du Monde
|2012||Värttinä||Alexander "Sasha" Cheparukhin||Lusafrica|
|2013||Los Van Van||Festival au Désert||Riverboat Records
World Music Network
|2014||Mariza||Mário Lúcio Sousa
- WOMEX Awards
- "WOMEX 11 Awards". womex.com. 2011. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "WOMEX 12 Awards". womex.com. 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- LUSAFRICA - World music label: Cap-Verde, Africa, Latine America, Caraïbes... - Lusafrica
- "WOMEX 13 Awards". womex.com. 2013. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Riverboat - World Music Network’s original premium artist label founded in 1989
- "WOMEX 14 AWARDS * Award winners". womex.com. 2014. Retrieved 5 December 2014.