|City of license||Port Washington, Wisconsin|
|Broadcast area||Port Washington/Milwaukee|
|Frequency||100.1 FM MHz|
|First air date||October 1969|
|Callsign meaning||"W Pope John Paul II"|
|Former callsigns||WGLB-FM (1969-2003)|
(Starboard Media Foundation, Inc.)
WPJP (100.1 FM) is a radio station licensed to Port Washington, Wisconsin, and licensed to Starboard Media Foundation, Inc. They have been airing Catholic-based religious programming as "Relevant Radio" since March 2003.
Prior to Starboard's purchase of the station, 100.1 was WGLB-FM, which aired a variety of programming over the years, including country, Top 40 and 70s hits. Most of these formats were also simulcast on their former AM sister station at 1560 AM.
For a time, WGLB-FM carried various satellite-delivered syndicated formats, but in later years were mostly live and local. The slogan was "Retro Radio". They briefly carried Don Imus's syndicated morning talk radio show in the late 1990s. The stations languished at the bottom of the Milwaukee area ratings due to its location and limited signal, which did not penetrate the southern half of Milwaukee County.
WGLB was owned by Joel Kinlow until he sold the station to Starboard. WGLB-FM signed off the air on May 21, 2003 and following a station upgrade, WPJP officially debuted on August 22, 2003. Kinlow presently owns WGLB-AM, which airs a gospel music format.
WPJP airs much of the national content of Relevant Radio, but also airs some local programming, including Milwaukee Archbishop Jerome Listecki's Sunday Mass, and Marquette Golden Eagles men's basketball.
- WPJP website, from Relevant Radio
- The Sunday Morning Bluegrass Show on the old Retro Radio
- Retro Radio tribute site from former afternoon host Tom Luppnow, includes pictures and audio airchecks
- A list of songs played on the former Retro Radio
- Radio station gets OK to stop broadcasting for now (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- Station set to launch Catholic format (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- FCC approves sale of WGLB-FM (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- Radio station's sale held up (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- Catholic radio to replace '70s station (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- They're on WGLB in rural Saukville (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WPJP
- Radio-Locator information on WPJP
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WPJP