|City of license||Topsham, Maine|
|Broadcast area||Portland, Maine|
|Branding||95.5 and 95.9 WPEI|
|Slogan||Southern Maine's Home for the WEEI Sports Radio Network|
|First air date||1993|
|Callsign meaning||similar to WPEI (simulcast partner)|
|Former callsigns||WLLB (1989–1993)
|Affiliations||WEEI Sports Radio Network
Fox Sports Radio
University of Maine Black Bears
|Owner||Atlantic Coast Radio|
|Sister stations||WJJB, WPEI, WLOB|
The station currently simulcasts WEEI-FM from Boston (with game broadcasts substituted with Fox Sports Radio, also carried are University of Maine Black Bear football and ice hockey, and Portland Pirates ice hockey.
The 95.5 frequency began operations in 1993 as WPME, simulcasting a country music format with WCME (now WTQX). A year later, the station converted to an oldies format as WXGL-FM. Atlantic Coast Radio purchased the station in 1999, and in January 2000 the station switched to an adult album alternative format as WCLZ. A few months later, WCLZ adopted a sports talk format, initially as a simulcast of WJAE (the descendant of WJAB); the next year, the station took the call letters WJJB-FM.
On August 25, 2008, WLOB-FM was converted to a simulcast of WJJB (which WJAE had become by that time); resulting in WLOB's programming being heard only on the AM signal. This was part of a shuffle of Atlantic Coast Radio's FM stations as a result of the conversion of two of its stations, including WJJB-FM, on September 1, 2008 to simulcasts of WEEI. Shortly after the completion of these format changes, 95.5's call letters were changed to WGEI (it had initially planned to use the WTEI call sign, and for a week in September 2008 used the WUEI call letters).
On April 1, 2009, WGEI had been converted to a simulcast of WLOB; it became WLOB-FM a few days later. In August 2011 WLOB-FM returned to simulcasting WEEI. On September 7, 2011 WLOB-FM changed their call letters to WPPI.
- of Maine Official Athletic Site
- Pirates Announce New Radio Home
- Fybush, Scott. "Maine Radio History, 1971–1996". Archives @ BostonRadio.org. Retrieved September 11, 2008.
- Fybush, Scott (August 27, 1999). "Maine Station Owner Dies in Plane Crash". North East RadioWatch. Retrieved September 11, 2008.
- Fybush, Scott (January 28, 2000). "Welcome Back WMEX, and We Take On LPFM". North East RadioWatch. Retrieved September 11, 2008.
- Fybush, Scott (October 10, 2000). "Spinning the Dial in Connecticut". North East RadioWatch. Retrieved September 11, 2008.
- Fybush, Scott (September 3, 2001). "Labor Day Update". North East RadioWatch. Retrieved September 11, 2008.
- Routhier, Ray (August 19, 2008). "WEEI to air in Maine Sept. 1". Portland Press Herald. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- "WEEI Sports Radio Network Expands to Portland, Bangor & Keene" (PDF) (Press release). Entercom Communications. August 20, 2008. Retrieved August 20, 2008.
- "Call Sign History". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved April 8, 2009.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WPPI
- Radio-Locator information on WPPI
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WPPI