|City of license||Ada, Michigan|
|Broadcast area||Grand Rapids, Michigan|
|Branding||Public Reality Radio|
|Repeaters||W237CZ 95.3 MHz, Grand Rapids|
|First air date||October 1988|
|Power||10,000 watts day
680 watts night
|Callsign meaning||W Public Reality Radio|
|Former callsigns||WDSS (6/16/03-8/20/08)
|Owner||Goodrich Radio, LLC|
The station went on the air as WBHD on September 4, 1998. On October 15, 1998, the station changed its call sign to WJNZ flipping to an Urban Contemporary format as "1680 Jamz," giving Grand Rapids its first 24-hour Urban station at the time, the call letters and format are now on AM 1140. On June 16, 2003, the station changed the call letters to WDSS and placed the Radio Disney format on the frequency. The station was poorly maintained during the Radio Disney years as station IDs were often mixed up and no ID was heard at the top of the hour.
On August 7, 2008, WDSS discontinued the Radio Disney format, switching to a continuous-loop announcement, announcing the changeover to a new "Public Reality Radio" format in September. The announcement also mentioned that the station's call sign would change over to WPRR on August 18 (the new calls actually took effect August 20). According to station owner Bob Goodrich, Public Reality Radio will be a non-profit, educational endeavor, featuring "a variety of podcasts and programming." On September 22, 2008, "Public Reality Radio" was launched, which includes programming from the Pacifica Radio network.
To better serve listeners in the Grand Rapids area, WPRR established a repeater, W237CZ at 95.3 MHz. Goodrich would acquire the repeater from the Horizon Christian Fellowship in February 2010.
Programs aired on the station include Radio in Black and White, Democracy Now!, Sierra Club Radio, Reality Check, Reasonable Doubts, Southpaws, The Union Edge, Faith and Reason, Ring of Fire, Law and Disorder, The Big Picture with Thom Hartmann, Culture Wars Radio, Ask the Naked Scientists, and many other shows.
- "WPRR Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "WPRR Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- Grand Rapids Press, 9/7/2008
- "Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard:"WDSS / WPRR AM 1680"". phillyb.
- FCC Consent to Assignment, February 23, 2010.
- Michiguide.com - WDSS History
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WPRR
- Radio-Locator Information on WPRR
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WPRR
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W237CZ