|Channels||Digital: 36 (UHF)
Virtual: 38 (PSIP)
|Subchannels||38.1 Ion TV
38.4 ION Shop
|Affiliations||Ion Television (O&O; 2007-present)|
|Owner||Ion Media Networks, Inc.
(Ion Media License Company, LLC)
|First air date||January 3, 1986|
|Call letters' meaning||PaX TV Roanoke|
|Former callsigns||WEFC (1986-1998)|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
38 (UHF, 1986-2009)
|Former affiliations||religious (1986-1997)
Pax TV (1998-2005)
|Transmitter power||700 kW|
|Public license information:||Profile
WPXR-TV is the Ion Television affiliate for Roanoke, Virginia. The station is owned by Ion Media Networks, and operates in digital on UHF channel 36. The station broadcasts from atop Poor Mountain. It is on channel 12 on Cox Cable in Roanoke and channel 11 on Comcast in Lynchburg.
The station signed on January 3, 1986 as WEFC, a religious station owned by Evangel Foursquare Church (hence the call letters). It was the first new station to sign on in Roanoke in 31 years.
From September 1996 until August 1997, WDBJ produced a 10 p.m. newscast, News 7 Primetime, for WEFC; the newscast was canceled due to low ratings. From 2000 to 2005, WPXR aired rebroadcasts of WSLS-TV's newscasts as part of a joint sales agreement between Paxson Communications and WSLS owner Media General.
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP Short Name||Network|
WPXR-TV discontinued regular programming on its analog signal, over UHF channel 38, on June 12, 2009, the official date in which full-power television stations in the United States transitioned from analog to digital broadcasts under federal mandate. The station's digital signal remained on its pre-transition UHF channel 36, using PSIP to display the station's virtual channel as its former UHF analog channel 38.
- "Channel 7 cancels WEFC 10 p.m. news". The Roanoke Times. August 8, 1997. p. B4. Retrieved December 4, 2011.
- "PAX TV Signs Strategic Agreement With Media General's NBC-Affiliated Stations in Tampa & Roanoke". Online Media Daily. November 3, 2000. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- RabbitEars TV Query for WPXR
- "DTV Tentative Channel Designations for the First and the Second Rounds" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- ION Television website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for WPXR
- Query TV Fool's coverage map for WPXR
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on WPXR-TV
- Site of the Week – Roanoke, Virginia – discusses WPXR's antennas
|This article about a television station in Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|