|City of license||Rochester, New York|
|Slogan||"The Number One Hit Music Station"|
|Frequency||97.9 (MHz) (also on HD Radio)
97.9-2 FM: "Modern AC" ("Nina @ 97.9")
|Format||Top 40 (CHR)|
|HAAT||142 meters (466 ft)|
WPXY-FM is a heritage CHR top 40 radio station licensed to Rochester, New York, which broadcasts at 97.9 FM. Its transmitter is located on Pinnacle Hill in Brighton, New York, and its studios are located at High Falls Studios in downtown Rochester. WPXY also broadcasts on HD Radio, and includes a secondary subchannel, known as "Nina @ 97.9", which airs a Modern AC format.
98 PXY history
The station is referred to as "98 PXY", and its slogan is "The Number One Hit Music Station." The first Top 40 talent that was heard on 98 PXY was then-morning personality Jim Harrington. Consultant Gary Burns had Harrington demo the new format for an hour, the afternoon before the new format was actually implemented. Harrington had just arrived in Rochester and his car was still unpacked. It has been a top 40 station since 1983. The station is a heritage to the Rochester, NY community.
Scott Spezzano was the morning voice of 98 PXY for over 25 years & is one of the most recognized celebrities in the Rochester Community. For years, Spezzano would climb atop the roof of Marketplace Mall the weekend after Thanksgiving and broadcast live, living on the roof for 57 hours to raise money for the Salvation Army Homeless Holiday Campaign. This "stunt" for years was called the 98 PXY Help the Homeless Weekend or just simply "The Roof-Sit". Community members and business owners every year pledged their support of Spezzano, the only brave celebrity locally to attempt stunts like this for the community.
Spezzano, in his over 30 years on Rochester radio, has been honored many times for his charitable contributions and always giving back to the community, and remains a household name in the Rochester Community. On September 7, 2014 it was announced that Spezzano and Sandy Waters would be moving to sister station WBZA. Megan Carter, along with Corey James (former PXY alumni Corey Kincaid), took over the PXY morning show beginning on Friday, September 12, 2014 with a special duel simalcast including Spezzano and Sandy with special guests on both WPXY and WBZA. Their show is called #TeamPXY with Carter + Corey.
Another PXY tradition is the High School Challenge, a penny drive where Rochester area High Schools compete to collect the most pennies. The winner gets a free concert at their school by a national recording artist! The proceeds benefit various Hillside agencies, currently benefiting the Hillside Special Santas. Artists that performed include Donnie Klang, Boys Like Girls, O-Town, and more...with Justin Bieber being the draw in 2009.
The station is currently owned by Entercom Communications.
PXY features the personalities of Megan Carter, Corey James, and CK.
98 PXY began streaming worldwide online at the new 98pxy.com on April 1, 2008.
98 PXY "Jam" brands
The legendary 98 PXY Summer Jam was originally called "The 98 PXY Birthday Jam" celebrating the station's birthday every year.
The Summer Jam was in the past for years followed up by: "The 98 PXY Acoustic Jam, The 98 PXY Jingle Jam, and the 98 PXY Halloween Jam" which were always like the previous Summer Jams in the past featuring "Invite-Only Passes, 21+ Only Shows, & Secret Locations"
Since then, the Station has matured into 1 Large Summer Jam and "Smaller Jams" called "Freeloader Studio Sessions."
The 98 PXY Summer Jam went on hiatus from 2005 until its revival in 2008.
In 2010, the 98 PXY Jingle Jam returns after a longer hiatus.
2009 Summer Jam:
June 4, 2009 at the Port Of Rochester featuring Kristinia DeBarge, White Tie Affair, We the Kings, The Ting Tings, 3OH!3, & Kevin Rudolf.
August 20, 2009 at Frontier Field featuring Flo Rida, Boys Like Girls, Jessie James, Wale, and Tina Parol.
Past notable 98 PXY Summer Jam and Jingle Jam artists
- Destiny's Child
- Christina Aguilera
- Wyclef Jean
- Flo Rida
- Boyz II Men
- Ja Rule
- 98 Degrees
- Michelle Branch
- JC Chasez
- The Calling
- Mandy Moore
- Boys Like Girls
- Fun Factory
- Deborah Cox
- 2 Unlimited
- Aaron Carter
98 PXY features
98 PXY has many features during its programming schedule.
Current PXY features:
- 98 PXY's Hi 5@9 (Weeknights, 9PM): The top 5 songs in Rochester according to listener requests on the phone or online.
- Club PXY Freeloader Alerts (7:30AM, 9:30AM, 12:30PM, 3:30PM, 6:30PM): Club PXY Password of the Day for online fan club.
Former PXY features:
- Rip it Up Friday (Fridays, 8:30-10AM): Spezzano & Sandy spin the 1980s & 1990s hits that we all know and love!
- Fourplay @ 4 (Weekdays, 4PM): Mike Danger plays the 4 biggest hits in Rochester.
- Interactive 9@9 (Weeknights, 9PM): JB & Kasper spins the 9 hottest songs in the ROC.
- Party Radio (Weekends): All of your Top 40 hits remixed and mashed-up into a non-stop party all-night long!
98 PXY on-air staff
- Megan Carter
- Corey James
- Emily Wild
- CK (Chris Konya)
98 PXY alumni
- Scott Spezzano (now at WBZA in Rochester, NY)†
- Sandy Waters (now at WBZA in Rochester, NY)
- Mike Danger (now at WBZA in Rochester, NY, still Programing Director)
- Moose (Actor in Los Angeles, CA)
- Amanda Valentine (now at KYGO in Denver, CO)
- "The Mayor" Pete Kennedy (now at WAIO in Rochester, NY)
- Alicia (now at KLCK in Seattle, WA)
- Danny B (now at WCMF in Rochester, NY)
- Harper (now at WMSX in Buffalo, NY)
- Gina G
- JB (now at Z99 in Grand Cayman Islands)
- Chris Savage
- Carson (now at KDWB in Minneapolis, MN)
- Danny Meyers (now at WXLK in Roanoke, VA)
- Darren Downs (now at KAMX in Austin, TX)
- Patrick Duffy (now at WCMF-FM in Rochester, NY)
- Busta Nutt (now at WAPE in Jacksonville, FL)
- Dem Jones
- Diesel (now at WEND in Charlotte, NC)
- Norm On The Barstool
- Java Joel (now at WAKS in Cleveland, OH)
- Artie The One Man Party
- Chris "Learjet" Leary (Chris Leary)
- JoJo The Hitman
- Clarke Ingram
- Jeff Walker (now at WAEB in Allentown, PA)
- Jim Harrington
- Rocky Martini
- Raphael (now at WIOQ in Philadelphia & WKGS in Rochester, NY)
- Trusty Tristano
- John Ivey (now at KIIS in Los Angeles, CA)
- Joan Brandenburgh
- Marc Cooper
- Tom George (retired)
- Scott Michaels
- Steve Hausmann (now at WBEE in Rochester, NY)
- Eric G
- Terese Taylor
- JJ Rice "Riceman" (now at WBLI in Long Island, NY)
- Magic Man
- Chris Cole
- Larry Wachs (Now on The Regular Guys Show, WNNX/Atlanta)
- Cat Collins (now at KYLD in San Francisco, CA)
- Gene Filiacci
- Candi Clark
- Kevin Fennessey
- Bentley (now at WFIZ in Ithaca, NY)
- Paul Jason (Now at Legends 102.7FM WLGZ-FM in Rochester, NY)
† Spezzano was the face of WPXY for almost 30 years hosting the morning show (first Spezzano in The Morning later Spezzano and Sandy) and was a large part of the station's early success making it a household name in the ratings and otherwise.
- WPXY Home Page
- WPXY aircheck from 1986 featuring Candi Clark
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WPXY
- Radio-Locator information on WPXY
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WPXY