|City of license||Camden, Alabama|
|Broadcast area||Wilcox County, Alabama|
|First air date||2012|
|HAAT||128 meters (420 ft)|
|Owner||Townsend Broadcasting Enterprise.|
WQLS (90.5 FM, "The Q") is an American non-commercial educational radio station licensed to serve the community of Camden, Alabama. The station's broadcast license is held by Townsend Broadcasting Enterprise.
In October 2007, Ken Layton's TBTA Ministries applied to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for a construction permit for a new broadcast radio station. The FCC granted this permit on December 17, 2008, with a scheduled expiration date of December 17, 2011. The new station was assigned call sign "WQLS" on August 25, 2010.
With station construction yet to begin in May 2009, TBTA Ministries contracted to sell the permit for this station to Jimmy Jarrell's Alabama Christian Radio, Inc. The deal also included the permit for WXIV in Lumpkin, Georgia, plus the permits to build three other radio stations in Georgia and Alabama for a total purchase price of $1. The FCC approved the deal on July 16, 2009, and the transaction was formally consummated on September 1, 2009.
On January 20, 2012, Alabama Christian Radio, Inc., contracted to sell WQLS and sister station WTBT (now WVPL, 90.5 FM, Dozier, Alabama) to Timothy Townsend's Townsend Broadcasting Enterprise for a combined sale price of $3,000. The FCC accepted the application for assignment of these permits on February 14, 2012, and granted the assignment on April 16, 2012.
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Application Search Details (BNPED-20071015ABR)". FCC Media Bureau. December 17, 2008. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Call Sign History". CDBS Public Access Database. FCC Media Bureau. August 25, 2010. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Application Search Details (BAPED-20090518ACV)". FCC Media Bureau. September 1, 2009. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Application Search Details (BLED-20111207ABR)". FCC Media Bureau. January 6, 2012. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Smile FM Acquires Three FM Construction Permits". All Access. February 14, 2012. Retrieved February 23, 2012.
- "Application Search Details (BAPED-20120213AAT)". FCC Media Bureau. February 14, 2012. Retrieved November 4, 2012.
- WQLS official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WQLS
- Radio-Locator information on WQLS
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WQLS