|City of license||South Bend|
|Branding||News & Sports Radio 96.1 FM & 960 AM|
|Slogan||Local News, Local Talk, and Notre Dame Football|
|Translator(s)||96.1 W241AD (South Bend)|
|First air date||1922 (as WGAZ)|
|Callsign meaning||W South Bend Tribune|
|Former callsigns||WGAZ (1922-1925)|
|Affiliations||CBS Sports Radio|
Prior to its current News/Talk/Sports format, WSBT was a Full-Service Adult Contemporary radio station, featuring soft pop and oldies music, personalities, CBS and local news, evening talk programming and play-by-play sports.
WSBT first signed on in 1922 as WGAZ.  The call letters stood for World's Greatest Automotive Zone--a nod to Studebaker, which was headquartered in South Bend. The call letters became WSBT in 1925.
On March 30, 2012, WSBT began broadcasting on 96.1 through a translator in South Bend. The translator had previously been operated by Friends of Christian Radio, Inc. and repeated the Christian Contemporary programming of WFRN-FM. It serves mainly to fill in the gaps in WSBT's nighttime signal, which is marginal at best outside of St. Joseph County. WSBT now emphasizes 96.1 in its branding, even though 960 is the main signal.
|City of license||ERP
|W241AD||96.1||South Bend, Indiana||210||178.3 m (585 ft)||D||FCC|
Past & present personalities
- Jon Thompson ("J.T.") is the longtime morning host.
- Bob Montgomery, John Hoffman, and Mark Schirripa currently handle the local news reporting duties.
- Darin Pritchett (sports director), Rick Carter and Eric Hansen host "Weekday Sportsbeat" every weekday night from 5 to 7 p.m. EST.
- Larry Hill hosts "Your Financial Fitness" every Saturday morning from 9 to 10 a.m. EST.
Past local personalities have included:
- Denis Prior and Shelli Harmon host the "Noon News" from Noon to 2 p.m. weekday afternoons.
- Bob Lux - afternoons
- Joan Swanson - middays (Referred to as "Momma Joanie" by Bob Lux.)
- Brett Kuntz - evenings
- Chuck Whittaker - production director, fill-in
- Bruce Kayser - fill-in
- John Patrick Gall - News Director & morning news anchor
- Joe Boland - sportscaster; founder of the Irish Football Network
Past marketing campaigns & promotions
- WSBT Salute to Summer Broadcasts: Station personalities would broadcast live from various sponsor locations and community events, often serving hot dogs and other snacks courtesy of Martin's Supermarkets.
- Wizzbit: This was a phrase used for various contests.
- Here's the Recipe for a Great Radio Station...: A marketing slogan used in claymation television commercials used to promote WSBT's programming and personalities. A claymation chef would stand in front of a large mixing bowl, and add various "ingredients" to create WSBT.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WSBT
- Radio-Locator Information on WSBT
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WSBT
|This article about a radio station in Indiana is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|