|City of license||Spartanburg, South Carolina|
|Broadcast area||Spartanburg, South Carolina|
|First air date||September 1, 1952|
|Former callsigns||WKDY 1970, WYYR 1991, WMMZ 1994, WKDY 1998|
|Owner||Jose Roberto and Aida Esperanza Ekonomo|
WSPG (1400 AM) is a radio station licensed to Spartanburg, South Carolina. It is owned by Jose Roberto and Aida Esperanza Ekonomo, though airtime is leased to Matt Smith of Tiny T-Bone Media, LLC. The WSPG studios and transmitter are located at 340 Garner Road in Spartanburg.
The station signed on the air September 1, 1952. In 1970s WKDY was first owned by Capitol Broadcasting Corporation until the late 70s. In 1991 the station was purchased and went back on air as WYYR and was owned by some of the former employees of WORDTony Brooks, Bobby Dean and Todd Brown. It was later purchased by T.C. Lewis and Todd Brown who operated several different formats in the 1990s. During this time, the station was known as Spartanburg's only locally-owned community station. Brown sold his interest to Lewis. Lewis sold the station to Matthew Fulmer in 2003 who changed formats to brokered religious programming. The station was sold to again to its current owners in 2006. On January 11, 2010, the station began simulcasting on 97.1 FM. This was done to help cancel out the AM signal that is reduced significantly at night, as well as provide better audio quality.
ESPN Spartanburg was run by Matt Smith, known as "Smitty" on air. Smith worked at the station before the change to an all sports format. He created and co hosted what is now known as Open Mic Daily, the station's weekday afternoon sports call in show. In May 2012 Smith took over operations of the station from Mark Hauser, who had served as President and General Manager. Hauser is the long time "Voice of the Wofford College Terriers" and one of the co-hosts of Open Mic Daily. Hauser is also well known as the former voice of the Greenville Braves. He still serves as General Manager of the station.
The station aired locally produced sports shows plus national programming and live sporting events from ESPN Radio. ESPN Spartanburg also carried live sports from the following teams:
- Atlanta Braves MLB
- Charlotte Bobcats NBA
- South Carolina Gamecocks Football, Men's Basketball, and Baseball
- USC Upstate Spartans Men's Basketball
- "Open Mic Daily" 3-6pm, Monday-Friday
- "Timeout With T.A" 9-10am, Saturdays
- "Piedmont Pick'Em Show" 10am-12n, Fridays (football season only)
- "Droppin' the Hammer" 10am-12n, Saturdays (racing season only)
- "The Emergency Nine" 10-11am, Fridays (golf season only)
- "Affiliate Radio Stations". The Official Site of the Atlanta Braves.
- WSPG official website
- ESPN Spartanburg Facebook page
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WSPG
- Radio-Locator Information on WSPG
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WSPG