||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (August 2013)|
|Branding||CBS The V
CBS Valley (alternate)
|Slogan||Your New CBS|
WSVF-CD 43.2 (UHF)
Virtual: 43.2 (PSIP)
(Gray Television Licensee, LLC)
|First air date||October 3, 2012|
|Call letters' meaning||see WSVF-CD|
|Sister station(s)||WHSV-TV, WCAV, WVAW-LD, WAHU-CD|
|Transmitter power||13 kW|
|Website||CBS The V|
WSVF-CD2 is the CBS-affiliated television station for the Shenandoah Valley of Western Virginia. It is a second digital subchannel of Fox affiliate WSVF-CD, owned by Gray Television. Over-the-air, the station broadcasts a high definition digital signal on UHF channel 43.2 from a transmitter on the peak of Massanutten Mountain. WSVF-CD2 can also be seen on Comcast channel 4 (SD) and channel 807 (HD). Along with its parent station, the subchannel shares studios with ABC affiliate WHSV-TV on North Main Street/U.S. 11 in Downtown Harrisonburg. Syndicated programming on WSVF-CD2 includes TMZ on TV, Extra, Access Hollywood, and The Ellen DeGeneres Show among others.
Shortly after Gray purchased WAZM-CA (WSVF's former call sign) from Jones Broadcasting, on July 17, 2012, the company signed an affiliation agreement with CBS for WSVF and two other low-powered CBS affiliates. As a result, WSVF-LD became the CBS affiliate for the Shenandoah Valley on October 3, 2012. It is the first time CBS programming has been seen on a Shenandoah Valley station since WHSV-TV (then WSVA-TV) dropped CBS programming in 1963; since then, WUSA in Washington, D.C. had served as the default CBS affiliate for the Shenandoah Valley. WSVF chose to carry CBS on its second digital subchannel, devoting its primary channel to a high definition version of the Fox channel previously seen on WHSV's second subchannel. Technical limitations do not allow any of WHSV's subchannels outside of the main ABC signal to air in high definition.
On the day WSVF-LD2 joined CBS, it was added to the Harrisonburg DirecTV feed, with Dish Network soon to follow. WSVF-LD2 was added to Comcast's Harrisonburg and Staunton systems on October 24, 2012. It is carried in standard definition on channel 4 in Harrisonburg and channel 10 in Staunton, and in high definition in both cities on channel 807.
Simulcasts of some local newscasts seen on WHSV-TV are included on the WSVF-CD2 schedule. More specifically, WHSV's two-hour weekday morning newscast, and its weeknight at 5 and nightly 6 p.m. news broadcasts are not seen on WSVF-CD2. In lieu of a locally-produced weekday morning news program, the station airs CBS' late night news program Up to the Minute and a double-run of the CBS Morning News between 5 and 7 a.m. The station does not carry any newscasts produced by WHSV-TV that are exclusive to the station.
- Jazmin Bailey - weekday morning updates during CBS This Morning
- Tom Dempsey - weekday morning updates during CBS This Morning
- Melanie Lofton - weeknights at 11 p.m.
- Brendan Ponton - weekdays at noon; also reporter
- John Rodgers - weeknights at 11 p.m.
- George Hirschmann - chief meteorologist; weeknights at 11 p.m.
- Josh Knight - meteorologist; weekdays at noon
- Aubrey Urbanowicz - meteorologist; weekday morning updates during CBS This Morning, also reporter
- Amelia Nahmias - meteorologist; weekend evenings, also reporter
- Daren Stoltzfus - sports director; weeknights at 11 p.m.
- Brooks Wagler - sports anchor; weekends at 11 p.m., also sports reporter
- Gloria Balding - general assignment reporter
- Dave Byknish - Augusta County bureau reporter
- Estephany Escobar - general assignment reporter
- Elizabeth Lamb - Staunton bureau chief
- Litsa Pappas - general assignment reporter
- Tim Wronka - general assignment reporter
- Seyler, Dave (April 9, 2012). "Another Class A for Gray". Television Business Report. Retrieved May 27, 2012.
- "Three Gray Stations Sign CBS Affiliations". TVNewsCheck/NewsCheckMedia, LLC. July 17, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "WHSV-TV3 Adds CBS to Family of Stations in the Valley". WHSV-TV/Gray Television, Inc. July 17, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- Station >> WHSV Bios
- Official website
- WHSV-TV website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for WSVF
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on WSVF-CD