|Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands|
|Branding||WSVI-TV Channel 8 (general)
News Channel 8 (newscasts)
|Slogan||The Virgin Islands Very Own|
|Channels||Digital: 20 (UHF)
Virtual: 8 (PSIP)
|Translators||WFIG-LP 5 Charlotte Amalie
WZVI 43.1 Charlotte Amalie
|Owner||Atlas News and Information Services Inc.
(Alpha Broadcasting Corporation)
|First air date||November 10, 1965|
|Call letters' meaning||WSVI: United States Virgin Islands
WZVI: WSVI 2 (represented with Z), Virgin Islands
WFIG-LP: W-FIGgie Family (former owners)
|Former channel number(s)||Analog
8 (VHF, 1965-2009)
|Transmitter power||1.1 kW|
|Public license information:||Profile
WSVI is an ABC-affiliated, full-power television station licensed to Christiansted, St. Croix, and serving as the network's affiliate for the entire insular area of the United States Virgin Islands. The station transmits over channel 20, and identifies as their former analog channel, channel 8, via PSIP. The station is owned by Atlas News and Information Services.
The station signs off after Nightline nightly at 2:05am AST (1:05 am AST March to November) and does not air overnight programming over their broadcast signal. A majority of the station's non-network schedule consists of paid programming, Litton's Weekend Adventure (the ABC station-exclusive E/I block), Caribbean Lottery drawings, some local arts and events programming, and their weeknight-only local newscasts. This is likely because the U.S. Virgin Islands receives other broadcast networks and superstations from the mainland via cable and satellite, thus the need for WSVI to maintain a full broadcast schedule of syndicated programming outside of network hours for island residents and tourists is negated, since those stations usually contain that syndicated programming in their schedules.
WSVI's newscasts are available online via their YouTube channel.
- "Notification of Suspension of Operations / Request for Silent STA (WZVI)". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. December 3, 2014. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- "Notification of Suspension of Operations / Request for Silent STA (WFIG-LP)". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. December 3, 2014. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- TV Newscheck: "Full-Power TV On St. Croix Goes For $350K", May 2, 2011
- FCC Document: "APPLICATION FOR CONSENT TO TRANSFER CONTROL OF ENTITY HOLDING BROADCAST STATION CONSTRUCTION PERMIT OR LICENSE" for WSVI, dated April 28, 2011.
- Query the FCC's TV station database for WSVI
- Query the FCC's TV station database for WZVI
- Query the FCC's TV station database for WFIG-LP
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on WSVI-TV
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on WZVI-TV