|City of license||South Pittsburg, Tennessee|
|Broadcast area||Chattanooga, Tennessee|
|Slogan||Chattanooga's Home For Classic Country|
|Repeaters||99.3 W257AZ (Lookout Mountain)|
WUUQ is a radio station serving the Chattanooga, Tennessee area, broadcasting on two different frequencies. The main frequency is 97.3 MHz FM which is licensed to South Pittsburg, Tennessee. There is a low powered translator that serves the Chattanooga, Tennessee area. It also broadcasts on 99.3 FM, licensed to Lookout Mountain, Tennessee with the call-sign W257AZ. This station currently broadcasts a Classic Country format known as Classic Country Q97.3/99.3. These stations are owned by Bahakel Communications. Libby Phillips is General Manager and Dale Mitchell is Operations Manager/Program Director.
In 1999, Cumulus owned rhythmic oldies WLOV (formerly WKXJ) at 97.3 FM, as well as WUSY, WKXJ, WLMX-FM and WLMX-AM. In 2000, Cumulus announced it would buy 11 radio stations in 4 markets from Clear Channel Communications in exchange for 25 radio stations in 5 markets plus cash. WLOV, WIIS-AM, WUSY, WKXJ and WLMX-FM were included in those stations going to Clear Channel.
When the 97.3 frequency was still licensed to Clear Channel, WLOV was urban contemporary and also heard on 99.3 FM. The 980 frequency was sports talk. Other Clear Channel stations were WUSY, WKXJ, WRXR (the former WLMX-FM), WUUS (the former WLMX-AM), and WSGC.
3 Daughters Media bought WNGA-FM and WUUS from Clear Channel in a deal announced late in 2006. "The Legend" moved to 98.1 FM when Clear Channel sold the station. 3 Daughters Media took over the station on June 22, 2007 and launched a Classic Hits station as U97.3/99.3. The station later changed its moniker to "Classic Hits WUUS" before changing the call letters to WUUQ in December of 2008. The call letter change coincided with a switch from locally-originated programming to the syndicated "Classic Top-40" format.
On January 27, 2010, WUUQ dropped the Classic Hits format in favor of a Classic Country format, adopting the branding "Classic County Q97.3/99.3".
On December 18th, 2010 3 Daughters Media sold WUUQ 97.3/99.3 to Bahakel Communications.
WUUQ also broadcasts on the following translator:
|City of license||ERP
|W257AZ||99.3||Lookout Mountain, Tennessee||250||D||FCC|
- "Tennessee Radio Stations". SHG Resources. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- "Call Sign History". Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- "Cumulus Media Continues Expansion". Business Wire. 1998-08-20. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- "Cumulus Media Starts New Year by Completing Several Acquisitions". Business Wire. 1999-01-25. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- "Clear Channel/Cumulus Swap". Yahoo News. 2000-05-30. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- "Chattanooga: No Choo-Choo, Just Towers and Studios". 2002-05-15. Retrieved on 2008/12/10. Check date values in:
- "Radio Stations in Chattanooga, TN". Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- "WUSY Country At Top Of The List, Air America Off The Charts," The Chattanoogan, April 5, 2006.
- "Deals," Broadcasting & Cable, October 2, 2006.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WUUQ
- Radio-Locator information on WUUQ
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WUUQ
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W257AZ
|This Tennessee radio station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|