- For the school district, Wayne-Westland Community Schools
|City of license||Canonsburg, Pennsylvania|
|Broadcast area||Pittsburgh metropolitan area|
|Branding||Fox Sports Radio 540am|
|Power||5,000 watts (day)
500 watts (night)
|Affiliations||Fox Sports Radio|
|Owner||Birach Broadcasting Corporation|
WWCS is a sports radio station and an affiliate of Fox Sports Radio serving the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania market. The station is owned by Birach Broadcasting Corporation. WWCS broadcasts on 540 kHz with a power of 5,000 watts daytime (500 watts at night) and is licensed to Canonsburg, Pennsylvania.
Prior to being s Spanish music radio station, it had also been a Radio Disney affiliate. The station's previous formats included classical music, ethnic programming, oldies, and religious programming.
Following ABC's LMA of WWCS from owner Birach Broadcasting, operations for the station moved from its transmitter building in Canonsburg to 400 Ardmore Boulevard in Wilkinsburg, the home of WEAE (ESPN Radio 1250) and WTAE-TV. Under ABC, the station carried Radio Disney.
WWCS ceased to carry Radio Disney upon the expiration of ABC's lease of WWCS on December 31, 2010; the network's programming then moved to Disney-owned WEAE (renamed WDDZ), which disaffiliated from ESPN Radio. From January to February 2011, the station aired a music loop directing listeners to WDDZ.
In February 2011, a Spanish music format began airing as a simulcast of WSDS from Detroit. The simulcast is now replaced by Fox Sports Radio programming on January 1, 2012; the network was previously cleared in Pittsburgh on WBGG, which dropped it when it replaced WEAE as the area's ESPN Radio affiliate.
WWCS is programmed and operated by Birach Holdings Corp. by and through its Chairman and CEO, Sima Birach Jr.
- Smizik, Bob (September 24, 2010). "Major changes next week at 1250 ESPN". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved September 24, 2010.
- Fybush, Scott (January 3, 2011). "New Year Dawns with Format Changes". NorthEast Radio Watch. Retrieved January 3, 2011.
- "Pittsburgh's newest all-sports station is WWCS at 540". Radio-Info.com. December 16, 2011. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "Fox Sports Returns To Pittsburgh". RadioInsight. December 16, 2011. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Fox Sports 540 Online
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WWCS
- Radio-Locator Information on WWCS
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WWCS
- 540 simulcasting Spanish station
|This article about a radio station in Pennsylvania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|