|City of license||Sanford, Maine|
|Branding||AM 1220 The Legends|
|Slogan||Legendary Songs, Legendary Singers|
|Translator(s)||102.3 MHz W272CG|
|First air date||November 9, 1957|
|Power||1,000 watts day
234 watts night
|Former callsigns||WSME (1957–1999)
|Owner||Port Broadcasting LLC|
WWSF (1220 AM; "The Legends") is a radio station airing an adult standards format. Licensed to Sanford, Maine, USA. The station is currently owned by Port Broadcasting. The station was silent as its transmitter failed in 2010, but returned to the air in June 2011. WWSF signed on as WSME on November 9, 1957. The call letters were changed to WPHX after being purchased by Phoenix Media/Communications Group in 1999. Its original studio was located on lower School Street in Sanford.
The station was acquired by Port Broadcasting, which also owns WNBP in Newburyport, Massachusetts, in 2012. When the sale was completed, the call letters were changed to WWSF. WWSF's format is identical to that of WNBP, though the two stations are programmed separately.
Port Broadcasting purchased FM translator W272CG and will move it to Sanford to rebroadcast WWSF.
- Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook 1999 (PDF). 1999. p. D-201. Retrieved December 9, 2011.
- "WWSF Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "Local owners expanding on New England coast". Radio Business Report. December 9, 2011. Retrieved December 9, 2011.
- "Media Bureau Call Sign Actions" (PDF). Federal Communications Commission. January 9, 2012. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WWSF
- Radio-Locator Information on WWSF
- Query Arbitron's AM station database for WWSF
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W272CG
- Radio-Locator information on W272CG
|This article about a radio station in Maine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|