|City of license||Milwaukee, Wisconsin|
|Branding||88Nine Radio Milwaukee|
|Frequency||88.9 MHz(also on HD Radio)|
|First air date||March 5, 1973|
|Callsign meaning||We're Your Milwaukee Schools|
|Owner||Milwaukee Public Schools|
WYMS is a non-commercial radio station in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, broadcasting on 88.9 FM. The station currently airs a younger-skewing eclectic adult album alternative music format, branded as "Radio Milwaukee". The station's license is owned by Milwaukee Public Schools, though it is managed and programmed by an outside group, also named Radio Milwaukee. In addition, WYMS airs weekly school board meetings on the over-the-air signal as a condition of MPS leasing the signal to Radio Milwaukee.
WYMS transmits from the WITI TV Tower in Shorewood, and has their studios in the MPS administration building on W. Vliet Street in the Washington Park neighborhood, though Radio Milwaukee is planning a move to the Walker's Point area sometime in the next year. The Vliet studios would be maintained for school board meetings and backup purposes. The public radio station announced its purchase of the site at 158 S. Barclay in the Historic Fifth Ward. It will include four recording studies among other amenities.
In the spring of 2002, Milwaukee Public Schools had a budget shortfall and the station's operations were handed over to WUWM at University Of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. For a short period, WYMS simulcasted WUWM's programming before switching over to syndicated mainstream jazz music.
Under management of Radio For Milwaukee, the station planned to introduce an eclectic contemporary music format. After many delays and target sign-on dates, the station dropped the automated jazz programming and began stunting on February 23, 2007. The new format officially debuted on February 26, with on-air personalities first appearing on March 5.
In May 2010 the station picked up World Cafe from WUWM after that station considered the program's music direction out of format.
- Daykin, Tom (5 December 2012). "Radio Milwaukee pursuing Walker's Point location". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Daykin, Tom (18 March 2013). "Radio Milwaukee moving studios to Walker's Point". Milwaukee: Journal Sentinel online. Retrieved 2013-03-18.
- 88Nine Radio Milwaukee (WYMS)
- "WYMS-FM deal nearly complete"
- "WYMS-FM seeks this..."
- "The struggle for Radio Station WYMS"
- "Musicians to program Milwaukee non-comm"
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WYMS
- Radio-Locator information on WYMS
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WYMS
|This article about a radio station in Wisconsin is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|