W Austin Hotel and Residences
|W Austin Hotel and Residences|
The building topped out from Butler Park
|Location||200 Lavaca Street
|Roof||145 m (476 ft)|
|Design and construction|
W Austin Hotel and Residences is a 37-story hotel and residential skyscraper in Austin, Texas that opened in December 2010. Standing at 478 feet above the ground and 37 stories, it is the fourth tallest building in Austin. It is a residential building that sits behind the Austin City Hall. It holds 251 hotel units, managed by W Hotels and 159 condominiums. Earvin "Magic" Johnson's investment company Canyon Johnson Urban Fund II is the primary investor and he also attended the opening ceremony.
The W Austin is next door to the Moody Theater, the new theater and studio for Austin City Limits Live, which was completed in February 2011. The Moody Foundation of Galveston granted $2.5 million to KLRU, the largest single gift ever received by the PBS station, to help equip the new home of “Austin City Limits” on Second Street downtown with high-definition production equipment. In recognition, the new venue is called Moody Theater. The new theater/studio holds 2,750 fans, up from the capacity of 320 at its current space north of University of Texas at Austin campus, and hosts an estimated 120 shows a year in addition to the “ACL” tapings. KLRU gets 45 days a year, rent-free, to produce each season of the longest-running music series in American television history.
June 2011 incident
In 2011, three incidents involving glass falling from the balconies of the hotel forced the building to close its doors. The first occurred on June 11 when two glass panels from the 24th and 25th floors fell into the swimming pool area, injuring four people. The second happened 16 days later on June 27, when three more panels fell onto 3rd and Lavaca Streets. Following the incident, a thousand glass panels would be replaced.  The third and latest glass panel incident occurred on June 29.
- "W Austin Hotel & Residences". Emporis.com. Retrieved 25 December 2010.
- Barnes, Michael (9 December 2010). "W Austin Hotel & Residences Sneak Peek". Austin 360 Blogs: Out & About. Retrieved 25 December 2010.
- Corcoran, Michael (22 October 2009). "New ACL venue to be called Moody Theater". Austin 360 Blogs: Austin Music Scene. Retrieved 25 December 2010.
- "Glass panels fall at W Hotel, injuring 4". The Austin American Statesman. Retrieved 30 June 2011.
- "1,000 glass panels to be replaced at W Austin after some fall". The Austin American Statesman. Retrieved 30 June 2011.