Former Democratic Candidate for NC House
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
|Known for||Openly Gay Candidate for NC House in 2008|
Wade Boyles (born June 8, 1972) is a native of North Carolina best known as a political and LGBT rights activist. In 2008 he rose from a precinct leader to an openly gay candidate running for the North Carolina House of Representatives. He was the Democratic Party candidate for district 74 in Forsyth County, North Carolina. Boyles is also well known for his work as the Obama Pride coordinator for the state of North Carolina. In May 2007 Boyles became the controversy of a small town Southern Baptist Convention church in Stokes County, North Carolina when he was excommunicated due to his sexual orientation. He and his partner were featured on the Ethics Matters Radio show in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
His activism involved working with several non-profit and gay rights advocacy organizations. Boyles served on the board of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians & Gays (PFLAG) of Winston-Salem.
Boyles also served on the board of directors for the Triad Pride Men's Chorus, Metro Council for C.H.A.N.G.E (Communities Helping All Neighbors Gain Empowerment), First Vice President of the Young Democrats of Forsyth County (2008–2010)  and was the LGBT Outreach Coordinator for Wake Forest Baptist Church in Winston-Salem, NC.
In 2009 Boyles won the Q-Notes QList – Best of the Carolinas, Readers’ Pick Awards for Best Politician/Elected Official in the Carolinas and for Best Male Leader in the Triad. In 2007 Boyles was nominated for the PFLAG of Winston-Salem's Kaleidoscope Award for defending LGBT people from religious discrimination.
Boyles now resides in the Miami, Florida Metropolitan area and is pursuing a Secondary Education degree at Florida Atlantic University.
- Forsyth County Democratic Party Forsyth County Democratic Party
- Openly Gay New Comer Rises from Precinct Leader to Candidate for NC State Office(Isley, Wess) October 31, 2008 Huffington Post
- The Unlikely Candidacy of Wade Boyles(Barber, Keith) October 15, 2008 YES! Weekly
- Church Controversy Episode 25, June 7, 2007
- PFLAG of Winston-Salem PFLAG of Winston-Salem
- Triad Pride Men's Chorus Triad Pride Men's Chorus
- Wade Boyles Wade Boyles About Me
- Q-Notes Qguide Qguide
- Award(Q-Notes Staff) June 13, 2009 Q-Notes Award
- Endorsements and Media Wade Boyles Website