Wagle Ki Duniya
|Wagle Ki Duniya|
|Created by||R. K. Laxman|
|Directed by||Kundan Shah|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||2|
|Camera setup||Single camera|
|Running time||Approx. 25 minutes|
|Original channel||DD National|
|Picture format||SDTV: 480i|
|Original run||1988 – 1990|
Wagle Ki Duniya (literally: 'Wagle's World') was a popular comedy sitcom on Indian television, aired for the first time in 1988 to 1990 on state-run Doordarshan channel. It was directed by Kundan Shah, and was based on characters created by noted cartoonist, R. K. Laxman, especially "the common man" about the issues of common middle-class Indian man. It starred Anjan Srivastav as a bumbling sales clerk in a multinational and Bharati Achrekar as his wife. The series was hit and made Anjan Srivastav a household name.
The series was set around everyday struggles, of nervous sales clerk, Srinivas Wagle, who lived with prudence of a middle class person of the time.
The weekly series was conceived by R.K. Laxman, and he himself narrated the script, It was based on RK Laxman character about quintessential common man. Director, Kundan Shah had previously directed comedy classic Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro (1983) and his 1985-1986, TV series Nukkad with Saeed Akhtar Mirza.
Later, Laxman was even present during the screentest for the lead character. The original run was supposed to be of six episodes, but seeing the response, it ran up to 13 episodes. The series achieved a cult status, and made Anjan Srivastav a household name. It was later revived as Wagle Ki Nayi Duniya (The New World of Wagle). Film actor, Shahrukh Khan made a guest appearance in the series, before he made his big television debut with TV series, Fauji (1988).
In one of its most memorable episodes, Wagle goes out to but fabric for curtains during Diwali, but ends up buying 10 times the amount of fabric required. Thus the family doesn't only have curtains but also sofa covers, shirts and a saree of the same shiny fabric.
- Anjan Srivastav - Srinivas Wagle
- Bharati Achrekar - Radhika Wagle
- Shahrukh Khan (guest appearance - 11 episodes) 
- Dushyant Nagpal - Raju Wagle
The show brought lead actor Anjan Srivastav to instant limelight, and two decades on he still remembered for his role, thought it did typecasted him. Another similar show based on Laxman's works, R K Laxman ki Duniya started in 2011, directed by J D Majethia and produced by Dharmesh Mehta.
In 2012, the character Wagle was brought back with new series by same team, Detective Wagle which started on Doordarshan channel in November 2012, where Anjan Srivastav reprised his role as Wagle, while the role of his wife was played by Sulbha Arya.
- "Aanjjan Srivastav returns with new version of Wagle Ki Duniya". NDTV MOvies. November 23, 2012. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- "Time for adaptations". The Times of India. Dec 1, 2011. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- B. G. Verghese; St. Stephen's College, Delhi (2006). Tomorrow's India: Another Tryst with Destiny. Penguin Books India. p. 325. ISBN 0670058637.
- "R K Laxman cartoons now on your TV sets". The Times of India. Nov 29, 2011. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Chaya Unnikrishnan (Oct 16, 2009). "The Long Run". Screen. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- "Trapped in Wagle's mould". Indian Express. November 9, 1999. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- "TV remade to order!". The Times of India. Aug 11, 2010.
..cult shows like Hum Log and Wagle Ki Duniya ..
- "The King and the Khan". The Hindu. Aug 25, 2007. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Chitrapu Uday Bhaskar (Oct 6, 2009). "Visual extravaganza". The Hindu. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- "'I met SRK before he became a star'". Rediff.com movies. October 28, 2005. Retrieved 2014-09-14.
- "The Old World Is Not Enough". Tehelka Magazine, Vol 7, Issue 30, Dated. July 31, 2010. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- "Anjan breaks his own record". Apr 15, 2010. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- "Aanjjan Srivastav is happy with co-star Sulbha Arya". The Times of India. Jan 2, 2013.