|Maulana Wahiduddin Khan|
1 January 1925|
Azamgarh, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Occupation||Islamic spiritual leader, speaker and author|
|Notable works||Tazkirul Quran|
Maulana Wahiduddin Khan (born January 1, 1925) is a noted Islamic scholar and peace activist. He has received, among others, the Demiurgus Peace International Award, under the patronage of the former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev; the Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civilian honour; the National Citizen’s Award, presented by Mother Teresa and the Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award (2009). He has translated the Quran in simple and contemporary English and wrote a commentary on the Quran| and gives lectures on ETV Urdu, Zee Salaam, Bridges TV, ITV, ARY Digital, QTV, Aaj TV, etc.
Khan was born in Uttar Pradesh in the town of Azamgarh in 1925. He graduated from a seminary of traditional Islamic learning and then went on to contribute to articles and journals before opening an Islamic Centre in Delhi in 1970. The al-Risala Urdu magazine was started in 1976 consisting of almost entirely his articles and writing. An English edition of the magazine was started in February 1984 and a Hindi version in December 1990. Some of his notable articles include 'Hijacking - A Crime', 'Rights of Women in Islam', 'The Concept of Charity in Islam' and 'The Concept of Jihad'.
Maulana Wahiduddin Khan is a noted Islamic Scholar in India and has published several books. His advice to Muslims has been to not treat unpleasant or unwanted situations as problems as this would only yield negative results. That is, one must not try to eliminate them or lodge complaints or protests against them. In fact, one should take such situations as challenges, and positively work towards overcoming them.
List of selected works
Maulana Wahiduddin Khan has written several books, including:
- The Prophet of Peace
- The Quran A New Translation
- A Treasury of the Quran
- Tazkirul Quran
- Indian Muslims: The Need for a Positive Outlook
- Introducing Islam: A Simple Introduction to Islam
- Islam Rediscovered: Discovering Islam From Its Original Sources
- Islam and Peace
- Islam: Creator of the Modern Age
- Words of the Prophet Muhammad
- All Muslim sects should agree to disagree: Maulana Wahiduddin Khan | Indian Muslims
- In January 2000. Tamara Sonn & Mary Williamsburg, (2004), A Brief History of Islam, Blackwell. ISBN 1-4051-0902-5.
- "Muslim scholar gets Sadhbhavana Award". Sify.com. 2010-08-20.
- http://www.goodword.net/read_quran_online.aspx A new translation of the Quran by Maulana Wahiduddin Khan
- Maulana Wahiduddin Khan
- Hijacking - A Crime
- Rights of Women in Islam
- The Concept of Charity in Islam
- The Concept of Jihad
- Analysis of the writings of Maulana Wahiduddin Khan - i, The Milli Gazette, Vol. 3 No. 6
- Maulana Wahiduddin Khan - 17 products available
- Maulana Wahiduddin Khan on Muslim leadership in contemporary India - TCN News
- Muslims in India since 1947: Islamic perspectives on inter-faith relations
- The Quran, A new translation by Maulana Wahiduddin Khan
- Al-Risala Forum International
- Goodword Books
- Centre for Peace and Spirituality
- Saniyasnain Khan