Wait a Minute (The Pussycat Dolls song)
|"Wait a Minute"|
|Single by The Pussycat Dolls feauturing Timbaland|
|from the album PCD|
|Released||October 16, 2006|
|The Pussycat Dolls chronology|
"Wait a Minute" is a song recorded by American girl group The Pussycat Dolls from their debut studio album, PCD (2005). It features vocals from American producer and rapper Timbaland who produced and co-wrote the song along with Keri Hilson. The single was intentionally set to be released the same time as "I Don't Need a Man", which was released throughout Europe and Oceania. However, due to scheduling and the positive radio airplay of "Buttons", the single was pushed back. In addition, the single was set to be released only in North America, but with the success of "I Don't Need a Man", the single was also released internationally.
Promotional singles were officially sent out to American and Canadian radios on October 17, 2006; however, some promos were sent out before this. Toward the end of 2006, "Wait a Minute" began to be aired on British music channels. On December 4, 2006, it was released as a digital download in UK. The single was released on February 24, 2007 in Australia.
This is the final video and single to feature Carmit Bachar.
Composition and critical reception
Allmusic's Stephen Thomas Erlewine likened the style of "Wait A Minute" to the Dolls' previous single, "Beep". While reviewing PCD in 2006, Marcus Yoars and Bob Smithouser of Plugged In wrote that the song is about "lustful desires and the suggestion of oral sex." Nick Butler of Sputnikmusic described it as an "another highlight track." Lisa Haines of BBC Music wrote that the song "is a great dance tune perfect for singing along to with a handy hairbrush."
It starts with the members passing around a Samsung YP-K5 audio player while watching for Timbaland. When Nicole Scherzinger bumps into Timbaland, they playfully argue. The dolls then walk onto the train with him and start to dance on the poles on the train. A mother tries to shield her son's eyes, but he moves her hand away so he can watch. The dolls then leave the subway and start to block traffic by walking right into the middle of an intersection. Timbaland then gets out of his car and the dolls and him continue to argue. The girls then start to dance on top of his car. The video ends with Scherzinger telling off Timbaland and saying that she does not need what he gives her but would like it back. Scherzinger sings full lead with Melody Thornton adding the minor adlibs.
Note: the traffic part of the video was used in Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll's first episode, the audition as fake clips part for the song "Hot Stuff (I Want You Back)".
"Wait a Minute" became the group's fifth entry on US Billboard Hot 100. Promotional singles were released and the song was featured in Best Buy advertisements in the US but a full CD was never released, which may have led to its low peak position of number twenty-eight. However the single achieved a slightly higher peak position on the Billboard Pop 100, peaking at number twenty-three. Shortly after its release in the U.S., it was released on February 24, 2007, in Australia and in March in Germany, where a commercial CD single was made available for purchase. In Australia, the song achieved a peak position of number sixteen, becoming The Pussycat Dolls' sixth consecutive top twenty hit, but also their lowest charting single to date, after the five previous singles all charted within the top ten.
The single fared better in the Netherlands where it reached the top ten peaking at number seven. "Wait a Minute" reached the top thirty in Germany and Poland, and the top fifty in Austria and Switzerland.
In the United Kingdom, the music video for "Wait a Minute" was aired on television music channels, but no physical release was given for the single. It later reached a peak of number sixty on the UK Download Chart. Due to "Wait a Minute" only being released as a download only promo single, the song was not able to chart in 2006 due to chart rules stating that only songs with a physical release were eligible to chart. However, due to new rules coming into play in 2007, "Wait a Minute" was able to chart in the UK Singles Chart, peaking at #108. If download-only singles had been integrated into the chart at the time, "Wait a Minute" might have been able to gain a higher peak.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||49|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||18|
|European Hot 100 Singles||69|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||3|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||27|
|Hungary (Dance Top 40)||12|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||7|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||17|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||24|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||41|
|US Billboard Hot 100||28|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||23|
- "Wait a Minute" (Album Version) (3:41)
- "Wait a Minute" (Timbaland Version) (3:56)
- "Right Now (NBA Version) (2:25)
- "Wait a Minute" (video)
- "Wait a Minute" (album version)
- "Wait a Minute" (Timbaland version)
- "Wait a Minute" (Timbaland instrumental)
- "Wait a Minute" (video)
Credits and personnel
- Marcella Araica – recording
- Demacio "Demo" Castellon – recording
- Ariel Chobaz – assistant mix engineer
- Ron Fair – incidental producer, mixing
- Gary Grant – horns
- Tal Herzberg – Pro Tools, engineering
- Jerry Hey – horn arrangement, horns
- Dan Higgins – horns
- Keri Hilson – songwriter, vocal producer
- Bill Reichenbach – horns
- Timbaland – songwriter, producer
- Yoars, Marcus; Smithouser, Bob (2006). "The Pussycat Dolls - PCD - Album Review". Plugged In. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (January 17, 2007). "PCD - The Pussycat Dolls". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- Haines, Lisa (2005). "Music - Review of Pussycat Dolls - PCD". BBC Music. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- Steffen Hung. "The Pussycat Dolls feat. Timbaland - Wait A Minute". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2012-01-12.
- Source for UK chart position for "Wait a Minute" Zobbel. Retrieved 1 February 2009
- "Pussycat Dolls - Live in London; Amazon.com: Movies & TV". Amazon.com. Amazon Inc. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- "Australian-charts.com – The Pussycat Dolls feat. Timbaland – Wait a Minute". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "The Pussycat Dolls feat. Timbaland – Wait a Minute – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – The Pussycat Dolls feat. Timbaland – Wait a Minute" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "The Pussycat Dolls feat. Timbaland – Wait a Minute Hitlisten.nu" (in Danish). Tracklisten.
- "The Pussycat Dolls Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for The Pussycat Dolls.
- "The Pussycat Dolls feat. Timbaland: Wait a Minute" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Dance Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 08, 2007" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Pussycat Dolls feat. Timbaland – Wait a Minute" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – The Pussycat Dolls feat. Timbaland – Wait a Minute". Top 40 Singles.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200704 into search.
- "Swedishcharts.com – The Pussycat Dolls feat. Timbaland – Wait a Minute". Singles Top 60.
- "The Pussycat Dolls feat. Timbaland – Wait a Minute – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "The Pussycat Dolls Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for The Pussycat Dolls.
- "The Pussycat Dolls Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for The Pussycat Dolls.
- PCD (Media notes). The Pussycat Dolls. A&M Records.