Waiting for Tonight
|"Waiting for Tonight"|
|Single by Jennifer Lopez|
|from the album On the 6|
|Released||November 15, 1999|
|Format||CD single, cassette single, 12"|
|Writer(s)||Maria Christensen, Michael Garvin, Phil Temple|
|Jennifer Lopez singles chronology|
"Waiting for Tonight" is a song recorded by American singer Jennifer Lopez for her debut studio album On the 6 (1999). It was released on November 15, 1999 by Epic Records as the second single from the album, and has since been recognized as one of her signature songs. The song was originally recorded by American female pop trio 3rd Party, taken from their only studio album Alive (1997).
Upon its release, "Waiting for Tonight" peaked at number eight on the US Billboard Hot 100, earning Lopez her second top ten success on the chart. It also peaked at number five in the United Kingdom. Moreover, the track earned Lopez a nomination for Best Dance Recording at the 2000 Grammy Awards. A Spanish version of the song, entitled "Una Noche Más" ("One More Night"), is also included on the album On the 6.
After a series of co-starring film roles, Lopez received her big break came in 1996, when she was cast to play the title role in Selena, a biopic of the late American singer-songwriter Selena. In the film, Selena's real voice is used for the musical sequences in Selena, but Lopez would nonetheless sing the lyrics during the scenes instead of lip syncing. When asked by an interview if Selena inspired her to launch a music career, Lopez stated: "I really, really became inspired, because I started my career in musical theater on stage. So doing the movie just reminded me of how much I missed singing, dancing, and the like..." After filming Selena, Lopez was "really feeling [her] Latin roots" and cut a demo in Spanish. Lopez's manager then sent the song, entitled "Vivir Sin Ti", to Sony Music Entertainment's Work Records, who showed an interest in signing Lopez. Tommy Mottola, the head of the label suggested to her that she sing in English instead. She complied and began recording her debut studio album On the 6. During production of the On the 6, Lopez was aware of the fact that she received her recording contract on the premise of her looks and having an already established name in the entertainment industry, and wanted to prove that she had musical talent. Prior to the debut of her music, critics wondered why she would take the risk of launching a music career. It was noted that: "If the album was a flop, not only would it embarrass Lopez, but it might even damage her career."
"Waiting for Tonight" is a dance-pop song with a length of four minutes and seven seconds (4:07). It was composed by Michael Garvin, Maria Christiansen and Phil Temple; Lopez's version of the song was produced by Ric Wake. Lopez recorded her vocals for the song in various locations including the Hit Factory and The Dream Factory in New York; the song was later mixed by Dan Hetzel at Cove City Sound Studios, NYC. According to the digital music sheet published at Musicnotes.com, the song is written in the key of B♭ minor. It follows a chord progression B♭m–A♭6–Fm7–G♭maj7. The instrumentation of "Waiting for Tonight" consists of a piano and guitar. The song has a tempo of 125 beats per minute. Aaron Beierle of DVD Talk commented that "Waiting for Tonight" hits a "rich groove."
Rolling Stone called the song "music worth getting lost in". David Browne of Entertainment Weekly, in a review of On the 6, gave a positive review of the song, stating that "[from On the 6] At least one track, the club-hopping 'Waiting for Tonight,' is worthy of a dance-floor diva, and the inevitable remix should sound even better". Matthew Turner of Crosswalk.com called "Waiting for Tonight" an "infectious tune." Richard Harrington of The Washington Post noted the song to be a "generic dance" track.
"Waiting for Tonight" debuted on the Australian Singles Chart at number 35 on October 31, 1999. It rose steadily and reached a peak of four on January 9, 2000; it charted in the top ten for a total of six weeks, and was certified Platinum by the Australian Recording Industry Association for shipments of 70,000 units. In Belgium, the song peaked at four in Wallonia and fifteen in Flanders. In New Zealand, the song debuted at 42 on the week ending October 31, 1999; it peaked at five on December 5. It was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of New Zealand for shipment of 7,500 units. In Finland, the song charted for three weeks, peaking at eight. "Waiting for Tonight" also peaked at nine in Canada, and ten in France. It was certified Silver in France by the Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique for shipments of 50,000 units.
On the week ending October 16, 1999, "Waiting for Tonight" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at 56 as the "Hot Shot Debut of the Week." As airplay and sales increased, the song rose strongly, jumping to 37 on the Hot 100 the next week with the "Greatest Gainer in Sales" title. On the week ending October 30, 1999, "Waiting for Tonight" topped the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart and jumped to 25 on the Hot 100. "Waiting for Tonight" entered the top ten of the Hot 100 on the week ending November 27, 1999, reaching a new peak of nine. On December 4, 1999, the song peaked at eight on the Hot 100. It also peaked at four on the US Hot 100 Airplay Chart.
Two versions of the video were made—the original and the Hex Hector Remix Version—directed by Francis Lawrence. In the original, the video begins with the sun setting, while Lopez and her friends are preparing for a New Year's Eve party. Intercut are scenes of Lopez in the jungle, dancing with green lasers flashing behind her and with sparkling crystals covering her body. The females are on a canoe over a river, travelling to a party which is being held in the middle of a jungle area. After the end of the Bridge of the song, the music cuts off, and the party is waiting for the clock to count down to the year 2000. There is a 6-second power outage (referring to the then-Y2K problem), until the power is back on, and the beginning of the new year is celebrated with the party dancing. There is inter-cut scenes of Lopez dancing on top of the crowd and playing in the water wearing a black bikini. In the Hex Hector Remix version, the video intercuts new scenes of Lopez dancing in a jungle with green lasers flashing behind her with the original footage. The video also incorporates a green laser strobe effect.
On the video, Lopez stated "Francis Lawrence is just a great director [...] He's done a lot of videos that I like and I just love his work. I wanted it to be fun and have a certain type of energy and he came back with the treatment of the video where it was this millennium party in the jungle. Just the way he described it, it sounded perfect, the kind of thing I really wanted to do so we just went with it."
Lopez performed "Waiting for Tonight" for the first time at the 1999 Billboard Music Awards, where she opened the show. She also sang the song along with "Feelin' So Good" during an appearance at Saturday Night Live on May 2, 2000. She also sang the song at her set of Let's Get Loud Concerts in Puerto Rico; a performance in which she got down on "all fours" while singing. The performance was televised on NBC on November 20, 2001. In 2009, Lopez performed it at Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve in a "revealing" catsuit. The catsuit provoked a mixed reaction from the public; The host of the show Ryan Seacrest praised the outfit, saying that it "made my year"—while others weren't so admirable. Alicia Lundgren, a 24-year-old dancer from Philadelphia, told the New York Daily News: "There's too many wrinkles. It looks like elephant skin." Lopez wore a glittery bodysuit for her performance of the song at Mohegan Sun's 15th anniversary celebration concert; green lasers swept across the arena ceiling as her dancers "whirled" around her. It was included on the setlist for her Dance Again World Tour in 2012. During her European leg at her concert in Italy, Lopez supposedly had a wardrobe malfunction according to various sources during her performance of "Waiting for Tonight". She was wearing a "plunging skintight cat suit".
"Waiting For Tonight" has been considered her best song and video. The song was used frequently as a celebratory anthem for the dawn of the new millennium. The music video was well known for featuring a Y2K dance party. After Lopez's appointment as judge on American Idol, former contestant Adam Lambert said "I remember when I was a kid graduating high school and 'Waiting for Tonight' came out. Remember that video? And she had all the rhinestones on her face and she just looked like just dewy and stunning and amazing."
"Waiting for Tonight" won Lopez several awards and nominations. In 2000, the song received a MTV Video Music Award nomination for music video with Best Choreography and won Best Dance Video. It also won "Best Pop Video Clip" at the Billboard Music Awards. Lopez also earned her first Grammy Award nomination for Best Dance Recording. The music video won "Best Dance Video" at the International Dance Music Awards.
- UK CD single
- "Waiting for Tonight" — 4:06
- "Waiting for Tonight" (Hex's Momentous Radio Mix) — 3:52
- "Waiting for Tonight" (Futureshock Midnight at Mambo Remix) — 4:06
- UK Cassette Single
- "Waiting for Tonight" - 4:06
- "Waiting for Tonight" (Metro Mix) - 5:53
- Australian Maxi single
- "Waiting for Tonight" (Hex's Momentous Club Mix) — 11:15
- "Waiting for Tonight" (Hex Hector Dub) — 6:31
- "Waiting for Tonight" (Metro Club Mix) — 5:54
- "Waiting for Tonight" (Pablo Flores Miami Mix - English) — 10:01
- "Waiting for Tonight" (Hex's Momentous Video Remix) — 4:34
- "Waiting for Tonight: Jennifer Lopez: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- (1999) Album notes for On the 6 by Jennifer Lopez [Booklet]. New York City, NY: Work Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment.
- Thomas, Stephen (1997-10-07). "Alive - 3rd Party : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Stated on Inside the Actors Studio, 2004
- Christopher John Farley (1999-06-28). "Latin Music POPS!". Time (Time Inc.). Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- Mendible, M. (2007). From bananas to buttocks : the Latina body in popular film and culture. Austin: University of Texas Press.
- "On the Down Lo". Billboard 119 (5) (Nielsen Business Media). 2007-02-03. p. 27. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- Stacy Deanne, Kelly Kenyatta, Natasha Lowery, Kwynn Sanders (1 June 2005). Alicia Keys, Ashanti, Beyoncé, Destiny's Child, Jennifer Lopez & Mya: Divas of the New Millennium. Amber Books Publishing. p. 104. ISBN 9780974977966. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Marquez, Herón (1 January 2001). Latin Sensations. Twenty-First Century Books. p. 47. ISBN 9780822549932. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Waiting For Tonight (Australia CD Single) - Jennifer Lopez". Allmusic. Retrieved June 28, 2012.
- "Jennifer Lopez - Waiting for Tonight Sheet Music (Digital Download)". Music Notes. Alfred Music Publishing. Retrieved June 28, 2012.
- "Jennifer Lopez: On The 6 : DVD Talk Review of the Audio". Dvdtalk.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Murray, Nick (June 17, 2014). "Jennifer Lopez 'A.K.A' Album Review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved September 21, 2014.
- Reviewed by David Browne (1999-05-31). "On the 6 Review | Music Reviews and News". EW.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Matthew Turner, Music and Entertainment Editor (2001-01-24). "Christian Music - Reviews, News, Interviews, Listen to Free Online Radio". Crosswalk.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Harrington, Richard (1999-07-14). "Jennifer Lopez, Finding Her Voice". The Washington Post ((The Washington Post Company)). Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Australian-charts.com – Jennifer Lopez – Waiting for Tonight". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Jennifer Lopez – Waiting for Tonight" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Jennifer Lopez – Waiting for Tonight" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Charts.org.nz – Jennifer Lopez – Waiting for Tonight". Top 40 Singles.
- "New Zealand Top 50 Singles (see "Chart #1183 – Sunday 31 October 1999")". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- "Jennifer Lopez: Waiting for Tonight" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Jennifer Lopez – Waiting for Tonight" (in French). Les classement single.
- Tuch, Paul (2011-06-03). "Lady Gaga Scores Second No. 1 Album". Nielsen SoundScan. Archived from the original on 2011-06-03. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "Certifications Singles Argent – année 1999". Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique (in French). 1999-12-15. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- Billboard Magazine Vol. 111, No. 44. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. October 16, 1999. Retrieved 9-7-12.
- Billboard Magazine Vol. 111, No. 43. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. October 23, 1999. Retrieved 9-7-12.
- Billboard Magazine Vol. 111, No. 44. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. October 30, 1999. Retrieved 9-7-12.
- Billboard Magazine Vol. 111, No. 48. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. November 27, 1999. Retrieved 9-7-12.
- Billboard Magazine Vol. 111, No. 49. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. December 4, 1999. Retrieved 9-7-12.
- Billboard - Google Books. Books.google.com.au. 1999-12-04. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Waiting For Tonight | Jennifer Lopez | Music Video". MTV. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- "Puffy Forever, Jennifer Lopez Heads To The Jungle, Tori Amos Makes Venus: This Week In 1999 - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. 2002-08-19. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- Billboard - Google Books. Books.google.com.au. 1999-12-18. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- TV.com (2000-02-04). "Saturday Night Live - Season 25, Episode 12: Alan Cumming/Jennifer Lopez". TV.com. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- Thompson, Kevin (2001-11-20). "J.Lo fans waiting for tonight's concert". The Palm Beach Post.
- D. Thompson, Kevin (2001-11-20). "J.Lo Fans Waiting for Tonight's Concert". Palm Beach Post. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- Silverman, Stephen M. (2010-01-02). "Jennifer Lopez's Nearly-Naked Catsuit Gets Catcalls - Bodywatch, Jennifer Lopez". People.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Jennifer Lopez's revealing sheer catsuit provokes a mixed reaction | thetelegraph.com.au". Dailytelegraph.com.au. 2010-01-03. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "Concert Review: Jennifer Lopez at Mohegan Sun - Hartford Courant". Articles.courant.com. 2011-10-23. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Sources for setlist:
- "Jennifer Lopez divulga setlist dos shows no Brasil" [Jennifer Lopez announces the setlist for shows in Brazil]. Diário do Nordeste (in Portuguese). Sistema Verdes Mares. 15 June 2012. Archived from the original on 1 July 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Palma, Louise (28 June 2012). "Jennifer Lopez apresenta setlist de hits e anima público carioca" [Jennifer Lopez has set list of hits and encourages public carioca]. Multishow (in Portuguese). Globosat. Archived from the original on 1 July 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Jennifer López derrocha sensualidad en Santiago de Chile" [Jennifer Lopez exudes sensuality in Santiago, Chile]. El Universal (in Spanish). 20 June 2012. Archived from the original on 1 July 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Jennifer Lopez Wardrobe Malfunction: JLo Suffers Nip-Slip and Reveals Spanx On Stage : Celebrities Style : Fashion & Style". Fashionnstyle.com. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "Jennifer Lopez suffers wardrobe malfunction on stage in Italy - Celeb News, Independent Woman". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "Jennifer Lopez Wardrobe Malfunction: Singer Mishap Prone?". Christianpost.com. 2012-10-14. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- Stack, Tim (23-11-09). "Jennifer Lopez: 'Waiting for Tonight' was awesome...but it might be time to stop singing". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 10-3-2012.
- "Jennifer Lopez Songs - The Top 10 Best Jennifer Lopez Songs". Top40.about.com. 2012-09-07. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- Ziegbe, Mawuse (2011-1-19). "Adam Lambert Predicts Jennifer Lopez And Steven Tyler's 'Idol' Style". MTV. Retrieved 10-3-2012.
- MTV Video Music Awards | 2000 | Highlights, Winners, Performers and Photos from the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards. (MTV.com). Retrieved 10-3-2012.
- "42nd Annual Grammy Awards nominations". CNN. January 4, 2000. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- "27th Annual International Dance Music Awards - Winter Music Conference 2012 - WMC 2012". Wintermusicconference.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Jennifer Lopez - Waiting For Tonight (CD) at Discogs
- Jennifer Lopez - Waiting For Tonight (MC) at Discogs
- Jennifer Lopez - Waiting For Tonight (The Remixes) (CD) at Discogs
- "Jennifer Lopez – Waiting for Tonight – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "The Irish Charts". Irish Recorded Music Association. irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- "I singoli più venduti del 1999" (in Italian). HitparadeItalia.it. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Jennifer Lopez search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Jennifer Lopez – Waiting for Tonight". VG-lista.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Jennifer Lopez – Waiting for Tonight" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Jennifer Lopez – Waiting for Tonight". Singles Top 60.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Waiting for Tonight – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Jennifer Lopez" UK Singles Chart.
- "Jennifer Lopez Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Jennifer Lopez.
- "Jennifer Lopez Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Jennifer Lopez.
- "Jennifer Lopez Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Jennifer Lopez.
- "Jennifer Lopez Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Rhythmic Songs for Jennifer Lopez.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 1999 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "French single certifications – Jennifer Lopez – Waiting for Tonight" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- THE FIELD id (chart number) MUST BE PROVIDED for NEW ZEALAND CERTIFICATION.
- "British single certifications – Jennifer Lopez". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved March. Enter Jennifer Lopez in the field Search. Select Artist in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Go
- "ARIA Charts - End of Year Charts - Top 100 Singles 1999". Aria.com.au. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- "Ultratop Belgian Charts" (in French). ultratop.be/fr. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- "Top Singles – Volume 70, No. 8, December 13, 1999". RPM. Archived from the original on 2012-06-05. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- "1999 German Annual Chart". Universität Würzburg. 1999. Archived from the original on 2012-03-01. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- "I singoli più venduti del 1999" (in Italian). HitparadeItalia.it. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- "Billboard Top 100 – 2000". Billboard. Longbored Surfer. Retrieved 2010-09-05.