Wake Up to Money
|Other names||Morning Reports|
|Running time||45 minutes (Monday-Friday 05:15)|
|Home station||BBC Radio 5 Live|
|Producer(s)||Economics and Business Unit, BBC News|
|Air dates||since March 1994|
Wake Up to Money is an early morning financial radio programme on BBC Radio 5 Live. It is broadcast from 05:15 to 06:00 each weekday.
The program was established when Radio 5 Live began broadcasting in March 1994. It has been produced by the Business Programmes section of BBC Radio which produces for Radio 4 and 5 Live in the Business and Economics unit. It began as a fifteen-minute programme, starting at 05:45, as part of the Morning Reports programme and moved to 05:30 in 2003. The format was updated in early 2014 extended the broadcast time to 45 minutes with the show being broadcast at 05:15.
Mickey Clarke provides the shares news on the FTSE 100 Index, the commodities prices and currencies' markets, and has more knowledge of companies' financial performance, history, and corporate structure. Adam Parsons provides the personal finance (e.g. mortgages or insurance) knowledge. There is an element of (cheeky sarcasm) humour to the programme.
Executives from companies are invited for live discussions on the programme. Guests are often invited from industry trade groups, such as the CBI, IoD, FSB, or government economic organisations, such as Business Link, university business schools, or watchdogs.
In 2008/09, the banks featured heavily; rarely had a programme not mentioned the state of the UK banks or the Financial Services Authority.
- Adrian Chiles - from March 1994, until the mid-1990s. He later married the co-presenter of the Morning Reports programme, Jane Garvey
- [Philippa Lamb] - followed Adrian and later went on to present 5 Live's Moneycheck and Radio 4's Nice Work
- [Declan Curry]] - from the mid-1990s until 1997
- Pauline McCole - regular stand in presenter since 2001
- Simon Jack - presents business for Today
- Paul Lewis - from August 1997 until 11 August 2000
- Guy Ruddle - from 2000 until December 2005, later made podcasts for The Telegraph
- Adam Shaw
- Wake up to Money BBC Radio 5 with ercol's Nick Garratt YouTube - Furniture manufacturing in September 2009
- Plastics 2020 Challenge - BBC Radio 5 Wake Up to Money 7 July YouTube - Plastics industry in August 2009
- 5 Live Wake Up To Money 31 July 2009 YouTube - 0870 numbers in July 2009