Wakeman Township, Huron County, Ohio
|Wakeman Township, Ohio|
Location of Wakeman Township in Huron County.
|• Total||25.3 sq mi (65.4 km2)|
|• Land||25.2 sq mi (65.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||807 ft (246 m)|
|• Density||100.4/sq mi (38.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086361|
Wakeman Township is one of the nineteen townships of Huron County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,528 people in the township, 1,577 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Florence Township, Erie County - north
- Henrietta Township, Lorain County - northeast
- Camden Township, Lorain County - east
- Clarksfield Township - south
- Hartland Township - southwest corner
- Townsend Township - west
- Berlin Township, Erie County - northwest corner
The village of Wakeman is located in central Wakeman Township.
Name and history
It is the only Wakeman Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Huron County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Baughman, Abraham J. (1909). History of Huron County, Ohio: Its Progress and Development, with Biographical Sketches of Prominent Citizens of the County, Volume 1. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 274.
- Williams, William W. (1879). History of the Fire Lands, Comprising Huron and Erie Counties, Ohio. Press of Leader Printing Company. p. 182.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.