District location in Uganda
|• Total||1,906.7 km2 (736.2 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,906.7 km2 (736.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,200 m (3,900 ft)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Wakiso District is a district in Central Uganda that encircles Kampala, Uganda's capital city, and has become a boomburb. The district is named after the town of Wakiso, where the district headquarters are located.
Kira, the country's 2nd largest city and suburb of Kampala, lies in the district.
Wakiso District lies in the Central Region of the country, bordering with Nakaseke District and Luweero District to the north, Mukono District to the east, Kalangala District in Lake Victoria to the south, Mpigi District to the southwest and Mityana District to the northwest. Wakiso, where the district headquarters are located, lies approximately 20 kilometres (12 mi), by road, northwest of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in the country. The coordinates of the district are:00 24N, 32 29E.
In 1991, the national population census estimated the district population at about 562,900. According to the 2002 national census figures, Wakiso District had a population of approximately 957,300, making it the second-most populated district in the country. At that time, 53% of the population were children below the age of 18 years and 17% of the total population were orphans. The district is rapidly becoming urbanized, with the main economic activities turning away from agriculture to trade and industry.
|Wakiso District Population Trends|
Wakiso District is made up of two counties and a municipality: (a) Kyaddondo County, (b) Busiro County and (c) Entebbe Municipality. The district is further subdivided into the following administrative units:
The district headquarters are located in Wakiso Town, approximately 20 kilometres (12 mi) northwest of Kampala on the highway to Hoima. Wakiso District has a total area of 2,704 square kilometres (1,044 sq mi).
The leadership is entrusted in the District Executive Council, composed of:
- District Chairman
- District Vice Chairman
- District Secretary for Finance
- District Secretary for Production & Natural Resources
- District Secretary for Works & Technical Services
- District secretary Gender
- Resident District Commissioner
- Deputy Resident District Commissioner
The tourist attractions in the district include:
- Buganda Cultural Sites and Kabaka's Palaces
- Old Entebbe Town
- Entebbe Botanical Gardens
- Uganda Wildlife Education Center (UWEC) - Entebbe
- Entebbe International Airport
- State House - Entebbe (the Official Residence of the President of Uganda)
- Ngamba Island on Lake Victoria - Sanctuary for chimpanzees
- Bulago Resort Island
- Lake Victoria - Second Largest Fresh-water lake in the World
- Uganda Martyrs Basilica - Namugongo
- Mandela National Stadium - Namboole
The tourist attractions in the district include:Uganda Reptile Village-Entebbe
Lake Victoria is the largest lake in Africa and the second largest fresh-water lake in the world. The lake is a prime spot for leisure activities. Water sports available on the lake include: (a) Sport Fishing (b) Water Rafting (c) Canoeing (d) Cruising and (e) Sailing.
- Uganda District Map
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Wakiso With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Subcounties In Wakiso District". Land Conflict Mapping Tool (lcmt.com)l. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- Kato, Joshua (24 October 2007). "Challenges of Turning Wakiso". New Vision. Retrieved 14 April 2014.