|Member of the Philippine House of Representatives from Akbayan Partylist|
|Professor of Sociology and Public Administration at University of the Philippines|
|Alma mater||Ateneo de Manila University, Princeton University|
Walden Bello (born 1945) is a Filipino author, academic, and political analyst who currently serves in the Philippine Congress. He is a professor of sociology and public administration at the University of the Philippines Diliman, as well as executive director of Focus on the Global South. Born in Manila, Philippines, he became a political activist following the declaration of Martial Law by then-President Ferdinand Marcos on September 21, 1972. Bello currently sits as a member of Congress in the Philippines' House of Representatives where he serves as the political party Akbayan's second nominee.
Walden Bello is the founding director of Focus on the Global South, a policy research institute based in Bangkok, Thailand. Prior to that he was executive director of the Institute for Food and Development Policy (Food First) in Oakland, California. Educated at Princeton University, where he did his PhD in sociology in 1975, he subsequently taught at the University of California, Berkeley, where he was a research associate with the Center for South East Asian Studies. He is also a guest professor at Binghamton University, where his lectures focus predominantly on issues of globalization.
In 2003, Bello was awarded the Right Livelihood Award, whose website describes him as "one of the leading critics of the current model of economic globalization, combining the roles of intellectual and activist." Bello is also a fellow of the Transnational Institute (based in Amsterdam), and is a columnist for Foreign Policy in Focus. In March 2008 he was named Outstanding Public Scholar for 2008 by the International Studies Association.
- Capitalism's Last Stand?: Deglobalization in the Age of Austerity (2013)
- The Food Wars (2009)
- Deglobalization: Ideas for a New World Economy (2003)
- The Future in the Balance (2001)
- Dragons in Distress: Asia's Miracle Economies in Crisis (1990)
- 'The Global Food Price Crisis'(2009) Published in Pambazuka News 
- 'A man for this season? Keynes'(2009) Published in Business Mirror 
- 'CARPER: Latest Chapter in Agri Reform Battle'(2009) Published in Inquirer.net 
- 'Asia: The Coming Fury'(2009) Published in Foreign Policy in Focus 
- Walden Bello's website
- Biographical information on Right Livelihood Award website
- Biographical information from the Transnational Institute
- Focus on the Global South