Waldo City Hall
Location in Alachua County and the state of Florida
|• Mayor||Louie Davis|
|• City manager||Kim Worley|
|• Total||2.17 sq mi (5.61 km2)|
|• Land||2.15 sq mi (5.56 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.04 km2)|
|Elevation||167 ft (51 m)|
|• Density||472/sq mi (182.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0292824|
Waldo is located at .(29.789831, -82.170881)
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 1,015 people, 413 households, and 245 families residing in the city. Of the 489 housing units 413 were occupied for an occupancy rate of 84.5%. The racial makeup of the city was 70.2% White, 25.9% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 1.6% some other race, and 1.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino people of any race made up 3.2% of the population.
Of the 413 households, 245 or 59.3% were families and 128 or 31.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them. 144 households were headed by married couples living together which made up 34.9%, 79 households or 19.1% had a female householder with no husband present, while 22 or 5.3% had a male householder with no wife present. Non-family households made up 40.7% or 168 households. The average household size was 2.45 while the average family size was 3.10.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.1% under age 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 24.4% from 25-44, 26.9% from 45-64, and 15.5% aged 65 and over. The median age was 38.4 years. 51.3% of the population was female while 48.7% of the population was male.
For the period 2007-11, the estimated median annual income for a household in the city was $28,167, and the median income for a family was $36,375. Male full-time workers had a median income of $33,021 versus $30,597 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,693. About 30.3% of families and 34.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 42.2% of those under age 18 and 14.4% of those age 65 or over.
Waldo is served by the School Board of Alachua County, which operates an elementary school in the city. Students in sixth through twelfth grade attend Hawthorne Middle/High School in nearby Hawthorne. The Alachua County Library District operates a branch library in the city.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Waldo city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 6, 2013.
- "Waldo, FL Population".
- "Nationwide Poll Reveals Top U.S. and Canadian Speed Traps". National Motorists Association. August 28, 2012.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Waldo city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 6, 2013.
- "Selected Economic Characteristics: 2007-2011 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates (DP03): Waldo city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 6, 2013.
- Alachua County Public Schools: Schools and Centers
- Alachua County Library District: Waldo