|Born||1925 (age 87–88)
Jerusalem, British Mandate of Palestine
Walid Khalidi (Arabic: وليد خالدي, born 1925 in Jerusalem) is an Oxford University-educated Palestinian historian who has written extensively on the Palestinian exodus. He is General Secretary and co-founder of the Institute for Palestine Studies, established in Beirut in December 1963 as an independent research and publishing center focusing on the Palestine problem and the Arab–Israeli conflict.
Khalidi's first teaching post was at Oxford, a position he resigned in 1956 in protest at the British invasion of Suez. He was Professor of Political Studies at the American University of Beirut until 1982 and thereafter a research fellow at the Harvard Center for International Affairs. He has also taught at Princeton University.
|Part of a series on|
|Religion / Religious sites|
|List of Palestinians|
Khalidi graduated with a B.A. from the University of London in 1945, then studied at the University of Oxford, gaining an M.Litt. in 1951. Under his guidance the Institute of Palestine Studies produced a long series of monographs in English and Arabic and several important translations of Hebrew texts into Arabic: 'The History of the Haganah', David Ben-Gurion and Shertok's diaries—texts that still await translation into English. He has also produced ground-breaking work on the fall of Haifa and Deir Yassin. His best known works are Before their diaspora, a photographic essay on Palestinian society prior to 1948 and All that remains, the encyclopedic collection of village histories which he edited.
Position on the Palestine question
From "Foreign Affairs": A Palestinian state in the occupied territories within the 1967 frontiers in peaceful coexistence alongside Israel is the only conceptual candidate for a historical compromise of this century-old conflict. Without it the conflict will remain an open-ended one.
Khalidi is a Palestinian representative to the Joint Palestinian–Jordanian delegation to the Middle East peace talks. He holds no office in the PLO or any of its bodies.
At the Palestinian Heritage Foundation's 15th Anniversary banquet, Khalidi was presented with an award for his commitment to the Palestinian cause, the Arab-American community, and the Arab nation.
- (1959) Why Did the Palestinians Leave? Middle East Forum, 24, 21–24, (July 1959). Reprinted as 'Why Did the Palestinians Leave Revisited', 2005, Journal of Palestine Studies, XXXIV, No. 2, 42–54.
- (1959) The Fall of Haifa. Middle East Forum, 35, 22–32, (December 1959).
- (1961) Plan Dalet: The Zionist Master Plan for the Conquest of Palestine. Middle East Forum, 37(9), 22–28, (November 1961).
- From Haven to Conquest: Readings in Zionism and the Palestine Problem Until 1948. Institute for Palestine Studies. 1987 [Original in 1971]. ISBN 0-88728-155-9.
- (1974) Palestine and the Arab-Israeli Conflict: An Annotated Bibliography. Institute for Palestine Studies.
- (1978) Thinking the unthinkable: A sovereign Palestinian State. Foreign Affairs, 56(4), 695–713.
- (1981) Regiopolitics: Toward a U.S. Policy on the Palestine Problem. Foreign Affairs.
- (1983) Conflict and Violence in Lebanon: Confrontation in the Middle East. Harvard University Press. ISBN 0-674-16075-4
- (1984) Before Their Diaspora: A Photographic History of the Palestinians, 1876–1948. Institute for Palestine Studies. ISBN 0-88728-144-3
- (1985) A Palestinian Perspective on the Arab–Israeli Conflict. Journal of Palestine Studies, 14(4) (Summer, 1985), pp. 35–48.
- (1987) From Haven to Conquest: Readings in Zionism and the Palestine Problem until 1948.. Institute of Palestine Studies, Washington DC.
- (1988) Toward Peace in the Holy Land. Foreign Affairs
- (1989) At a Critical Juncture: The United States and the Palestinian People. Center for Contemporary Arab Studies, Georgetown University.
- (1991) The Gulf Crisis: Origins and Consequences. Journal of Palestine Studies, 20(2) (Winter, 1991), pp. 5–28.
- (1992) All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948. Institute for Palestine Studies. ISBN 0-88728-224-5
- (1992) Palestine Reborn. I. B. Tauris. ISBN 1-85043-563-4
- (1993) Benny Morris and Before Their Diaspora. Journal of Palestine Studies, 22(3) (Spring, 1993), pp. 106–119.
- (1993) The Jewish-Ottoman Land Company: Herzl's Blueprint for the Colonization of Palestine. Journal of Palestine Studies, 22(2) (Winter, 1993), pp. 30–47.
- (1996) Islam, the West and Jerusalem. Center for Contemporary Arab Studies & Center for Muslim–Christian Understanding, Georgetown University.
- (1996) Revisiting the UNGA Partition Resolution. Journal of Palestine Studies, 27(1) (Autumn, 1997), pp. 5–21.
- (1998) Khamsuna 'aman a'la taqsim Filastin. Fifty years since the Partition of Palestine (1947–1997), Dar al-Nahar, Beirut. (Arabic).
- (1998) Selected Documents on the 1948 Palestine War. Journal of Palestine Studies. 27(3), 79.
- (1999) Dayr Yasin: al-Jum'a, 9/4/1948. Dayr Yasin: Friday, 9 April 1948. Institute for Palestine Studies. Beirut. (Arabic).
- (2000) The Ownership of the U.S. Embassy Site in Jerusalem. Institute for Palestine Studies. ISBN 0-88728-277-6
- (2005) "On Albert Hourani, the Arab Office, and the Anglo-American Committee of Inquiry 1946", Journal of Palestine Studies vol 35, no. 1 (autumn 2005): 60–79
- Hirsch & Housen-Couriel, 1995, p. 98.
- See for example See translation by Walid Khalidi here
- Khalidi, Walid (Jul 1978). "Thinking the Unthinkable: A Sovereign Palestinian State". Foreign Affairs (Council on Foreign Relations) 56 (4): 695–713. doi:10.2307/20039986. JSTOR 20039986.
- Khalidi, Walid. "Toward Peace in the Holy Land", Foreign Affairs, Spring 1988.
- Hansard Records, 13 April 1983 vol 40 c407W.
- Palestine Heritage news letter
- Hirsch, Moshe and Housen-Couriel, Deborah (1995). Whither Jerusalem?: Proposals and Positions Concerning the Future of Jerusalem. Martinus Nijhoff Publishers. ISBN 90-411-0077-6
- Institute for Palestinian Studies
- Journal of Palestine Studies, Vol 18 no. 1, (Aut. 88): pp. 51–70. Erskine Childers, Walid Khalidi, and Jon Kimche 1961 Correspondence in The Spectator on "Why the Refugees Left" [Originally Appendix E of Khalidi, Walid, "Plan Dalet Revisited: Master Plan for the Conquest of Palestine".
- Journal of Palestine Studies Vol 134, no. 2 (Win. 05): pp. 42–54. Khalidi, Walid "Why did the Palestinians Leave, Revisited".
- Journal of Palestine Studies Vol 21, no. 1 (Aut. 91): pp. 5–16. Khalidi, Walid "The Palestine Problem: An Overview".
- Journal of Palestine Studies Vol 27, no. 3 (Spring, 98): pp. 60–105. Khalidi, Walid "Selected Documents on the 1948 Palestine War".
- Journal of Palestine Studies Vol 35, no. 1 (Autumn 2005): pp. 60–79. Khalidi, Walid "On Albert Hourani, the Arab Office, and the Anglo-American Committee of 1946".
- Journal of Palestine Studies Vol 27, no. 1 (Aut. 1997): pp. 5–21. Khalidi, Walid "Revisiting the 1947 UN Partition Resolution".
- Journal of Palestine Studies Vol 22 no. 3 (Spring 93): 106–119. Khalidi, Walid "Benny Morris and Before their Diaspora".
- Journal of Palestine Studies Vol 2 no. 2 (Win. 73): 3–32 Nasser's Memoirs of the First Palestine War Author(s): Gamal Abdul Nasser and Walid Khalidi