Walk On By (Burt Bacharach and Hal David song)
|"Walk On By"|
|Single by Dionne Warwick|
|from the album Make Way for Dionne Warwick|
|B-side||Any Old Time of Day (Bacharach & David)|
|Released||April 26, 1964|
|Recorded||1964 at Bell Sound Studios, November 1963|
|Dionne Warwick singles chronology|
"Walk On By" has charted numerous times in various countries, with wildly different arrangements. The following entries discuss the chart versions of the song, in the order in which they appeared:
Dionne Warwick version
The original version of "Walk On By" was recorded at the same December 1963 session that yielded her hit "Anyone Who Had a Heart". "Walk On By" was the follow-up to that single, released in April 1964 and reaching #6 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and #1 on the Cashbox's R&B chart. (Billboard did not print rhythm and blues charts during 1964, the year of the song's peak performance.) The song also reached the top 10 in a brief run on Billboard's easy listening survey. The song was ranked #70 on the Rolling Stone list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
Warwick also recorded a German version of the song, entitled "Geh Vorbei".
|US Hot 100||6|
|UK Singles Chart||9|
Bobby Kris & The Imperials version
Toronto folk-rock group Bobby Kris & The Imperials released a fairly straight-ahead cover version late 1965. The track became a major hit in Canada, reaching #8 in early 1966, but "Walk On By" was to be the band's only hit.
|Canada RPM 100||8|
Isaac Hayes version
Funk/soul musician Isaac Hayes released a cover version in 1969 on his album Hot Buttered Soul and transformed the song into a twelve-and-a-half minute funk vamp. Edited for single release down to under 5 minutes, this single reached #30 on the U.S. charts.
|US Hot 100||30|
The Stranglers version
|UK Singles Chart||21|
|UK Singles Chart||44|
Jo Jo Zep version
In 1983, Australian act Jo Jo Zep covered the song in a slow, moody version that featured electronics and synthesizers. The track was a minor hit in Australia, peaking at #55, but was a major hit in New Zealand, hitting #6.
|UK Singles Chart||6|
|US Hot 100||74|
Gabrielle version (1997)
|UK Singles Chart||7|
|Dutch Singles Chart||96|
UK CD: (GODCD 159)
- "Walk on By"
- "Walk on By" (45% Novocaine remix)
- "Walk on By" (live from TFI Friday)
- "Something to Talk About"
Cyndi Lauper version (2003)
"Walk on By" was the first single from Cyndi Lauper's 2003 covers album, At Last. It was also included on Lauper's 2004 DVD Live at Last. It was released as a promo only. Remixes of the song reached #10 on the U.S. dance chart.
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||10|
- "Walk on By" (Eddie X club mix) 10:51
- "Walk on By" (Eddie X dub mix) 7:52
- "Walk on By" (live version) 3:26
- "Walk on By" (S.A.F. dub mix) 8:12
- "Walk on By" (S.A.F.'s Walk to the Dance Floor club mix) 8:10
- "Walk on By" (Tony Moran mix) 4:31
Seal version (2005)
Seal released a version of "Walk On By" as a single in January 2005. Though the song did not chart in his native UK, it made the lower reaches of the charts in several European countries, including #57 in Austria, #49 in Germany, and #46 in Switzerland.
- Alan Price
- Alicia Keys recorded a hip hop version of the song on 2003 mutli-platinum album The Diary of Alicia Keys
- Aretha Franklin
- Average White Band
- The Beach Boys covered the song in a studio outtake for their 1969 album, 20/20.
- Bob Baldwin released a version of the song on his 1997 album, Cool Breeze.
- Brenda & the Tabulations on their 1967 album, Dry Your Eyes
- A 1960s garage rock version was recorded by The Outcasts from Manhasset, New York
- The Dells recorded a version on their 1972 album The Dells Sing Dionne Warwicke's Greatest Hits released on Cadet Records, produced by Charles Stepney
- Diana Krall recorded a jazzy version of the song on her 2009 album, Quiet Nights
- Florence Ballard after she left the Supremes
- Gloria Gaynor
- Kiki Dee recorded a version of the song in 1969 for Motown Records during her work on the Great Expectations album, but the song was not released until 2005 on the retrospective album Kiki Dee - Love Makes The World Go Round: The Motown Collection
- Melissa Manchester released the song on her 1989 Tribute album
- [[Peter Nero}]]
- Laura Nyro recorded a version of the song that was included on her 2001 Angel in the Dark (posthumous album recorded 1994–1995)
- Peter White released a version of the song on his 1994 album, Reflections
- Roland Kirk recorded a version on his 1965 album Slightly Latin
- Ronan Keating recorded the song for his 2011 album, When Ronan Met Burt
- Vanilla Fudge on the 1984 album "Mystery (Vanilla Fudge album)"
- We Five
- The Undisputed Truth on the album Law of the Land
- Paul Carrack recorded a version on his 2001 Groovin' album
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 609.
- "The RS 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- Geh Vorbei (Walk On By) on YouTube
- "Cool Breeze overview". *Allmusic.com.
- "CD Review of Bob Baldwin - Cool Breeze". JazzReview.com.
- The Outcasts from Manhasset, New York discography at Discogs
- "Reflections overview". Allmusic.com.
- "Reflections CD Sequel Is Next For Peter White". Allmusic.com.
- We Five, There Stands the Door: The Best of We Five Retrieved March 7, 2012.