Walk the Moon
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (May 2013)|
|Walk the Moon|
|Origin||Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.|
|Genres||Indie rock, indie pop, new wave, dance-rock|
Walk the Moon (stylized as WALK THE MOON) is an indie rock band based in Cincinnati, Ohio. Lead singer Nicholas Petricca started the band in 2008 and went through several member changes before finally coming together with current members, Kevin Ray, Sean Waugaman, and Eli Maiman sometime in 2010. The band derives their name from the song "Walking on the Moon" by The Police. The group independently released their debut album, i want! i want!, in November 2010, receiving airplay for the track "Anna Sun" on WKCO, WCRD, WWCD, WFPK, WKNH, WRLT, and WTMD. In February 2011, Walk the Moon signed with Mick Management. They signed to RCA Records and released their first official album, Walk the Moon in June 2012. Their self-titled debut is composed of many of their original tracks from i want! i want! in addition to new tracks that were written specifically for the album and were meant to reflect the kind of energy the band produced in their live shows.
SPIN Magazine has described them as a "poppy, art-rock quartet". They were also deemed a Nylon Magazine Band Crush for their "swirly pop beats, infectious guitar riffs, and loud, sing-a-long choruses."
"Anna Sun" was named the song of the summer in a 2011 Esquire article "30 Summer Songs Every Man Should Listen To". Written by Petricca and New York singer/songwriter Nick Lerangis towards the end of their college career, the song is named after their professor (see here and here) from Kenyon College and is meant to symbolize youth. "It's about college, about maintaining that little bit of being a kid," Petricca said. "Don't be afraid to play."
The band's self-released album i want! i want! was recorded by Chris Schmidt and Ben Cochran at Soap Floats Recording Studio in their hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio. In November 2010, the "Anna Sun" official music video was released to coincide with the disc.
MTV Hive calls the video a "hilariously choreographed, neon-colored and awesomely shot in one take" production. The video was produced by a local Cincinnati company, Contrast Productions, and features original choreography from Kim Popa of PONES Inc., as well as a cast full of the band's friends.
"Anna Sun" was added to the video rotation of American Eagle Outfitters stores in May 2011. It was featured on the hit TV show Vampire Diaries in the first episode of season three. It was also the free single of the week on iTunes for the week of May 15. It has also been named song of the summer by MTV and Seventeen Mag as well as one of the top songs of the year by Amazon. It has been officially remixed by Fool's Gold and by Trouble Productions. It also rose to the number one spot on Alt. Nation on Sirius XM Radio. Along with the success of Anna Sun, Alt. Nation has named them a band you need to know for the Summer of 2012.
Walk the Moon (2012)
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (September 2013)|
Before the release of their self-titled album, Walk the Moon joined many other performers at the Music Midtown festival and performed on the Great Southeast Music Hall Stage in Atlanta, Georgia in September 2011. In the spring of 2011, the band went on a short tour with the west coast band, Grouplove, as well as supported Panic! At the Disco and Weezer on select dates. The band played on the main stage at the 20th Anniversary of Lollapalooza and also supported Local Natives in an Official Lollaplooza Aftershow at Lincoln Hall. In 2011, the band members began to paint their faces for live performances and they would bring enough paint to share with audience members. They have claimed it has become a “live tradition”. Bonnaroo’s camera crew documented the painting process in a short video from the 2011 festival. Preceding the release of their album, RCA put the band on tour with Young the Giant and Kaiser Chiefs, as well as released a three-song sampler, Anna Sun EP, in January of 2012. The band played at the Sasquatch Music Festival and Firefly Music Festival. The band’s self-titled major label debut Walk the Moon was released on June 19, 2012, the same day that the band appeared on the Late Show with Dave Letterman. The band has also appeared on Conan on July 18th, 2012, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on April 5th 2012, and Last Call with Carson Daly back in 2011. On June 27th, 2012, the band joined many other performers at Summerfest Music Festival and performed on the U.S. Cellular Connection Stage. Also in 2012, Walk the Moon played in the iTunes Festival in London, appeared in KROQ’s Weenie Roast 2012, and was the supporting act for Fun on their European tour. Their single “Quesadilla” was added to the official FIFA 13 soundtrack and their second single, “Tightrope” was used in a commercial for the HP Envy 4 Ultrabook laptop.  Lead singer Petricca also appeared on the song "Finale" by Madeon, which also appeared on the FIFA 13 soundtrack.
In the summer of 2013, the band spent two months writing songs for their third album. Inspiration was taken from the music of the 1980s with guitarist Eli Maiman being especially inspired by Johnny Marr's work with The Smiths. Drummer Sean Waugaman's style will incorporate more aspects of electronic music. The band will record their third album with a release date tentatively scheduled for late Summer 2014.
- Nicholas Petricca: Lead vocals, Keys, Synthesizer, Floor Tom
- Kevin Ray: Bass, Vocals, Casual Rainstick
- Sean Waugaman: Drums, Vocals
- Eli Maiman: Guitar, Vocals
- I Want! I Want! (2010, Independent)
- Walk the Moon (2012, RCA)
- The Anthem (2008)
- The Other Side: B-Sides and Rarities (2009)
- Anna Sun (2012)
- iTunes Festival: London 2012 (2012)
- Tightrope (2013)
|2012||"Anna Sun"||10||20||39||Walk the Moon|
|2014||"Shut Up and Dance"||—||—||—||TBA|
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart.|
- Kaplan, Ilana. "Face Time with Walk the Moon". Interview Magazine. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- Coachman, Kirsten. "Interview: Walk The Moon's Eli Maiman Discusses the Band's New Album". SeattlePi. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "25 Must-Hear Artists at Bonnaroo 2011 | WALK THE MOON". SPIN.com. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- "Band Crush: Walk The Moon - Nylon Magazine". Nylonmag.com. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- "Walk the Moon - Summer Songs 2011". Esquire. 2010-07-30. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- "WALK THE MOON on Last Call with Carson Daly 4/1/11". YouTube. 2011-04-05. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- Jill Menze (2011-04-22). "Walk the Moon Get Their Neon Kicks | MTV Hive". Read.mtvhive.com. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- "Vampirediariesonline.com". Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- "Walk the Moon". Midtown Music.
- "Walk the Moon Backstage At Bonnaroo". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- Zemler, E. (2012, Jun 23). ONE SMALL STEP FOR MAN.. Billboard - the International Newsweekly of Music, Video and Home Entertainment, 124, 27.
- "Summerfest 2012".
- http://diffuser.fm/hp-envy-4-ultrabook-hot-potato-2012-commercial-whats-the-song and also in one episode of The Vampire Diaries (4x21) /
- Intermissions during performances on the Gospel Tour 2014