Walking to Babylon
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (May 2013)|
|Series||Doctor Who book:
The New Adventures
The New Adventures were a spin-off from the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who, but after the publisher Virgin Books lost the license to do Doctor Who stories from the BBC, the New Adventures continued, centred on the character of Benny and further characters and settings created for the series. Walking to Babylon is the tenth Benny-led New Adventure.
Orman had previously written several Doctor Who New Adventures, but this was her first for the post-Doctor Who series. As characterises her work, the novel mixes hard science fiction with strong characters. The book also contains some scenes of a sexual nature, reflecting Virgin's willingness to include more adult content than the BBC had allowed for the Doctor Who New Adventures.
The story features the People, an alien race were created in the Doctor Who New Adventure The Also People and subsequently appeared in many of the Bernice Summerfield New Adventures. The novel also indirectly refers to the Time Lords, a race from Doctor Who; this was to avoid any copyright disputes with the BBC.
The book opens by positing the conduct of a war between two super-powerful, time-travelling groups. A similar idea was being developed by fellow New Adventure author Lawrence Miles (which eventually saw its fullest exploration in his Faction Paradox stories), although Orman has said this was purely by coincidence. Miles has said his later New Adventure Dead Romance was in part inspired by his dislike of elements of Walking to Babylon.
Bernice Summerfield travels back in time to ancient Babylon to try to prevent the powerful race known only as the People from destroying the city with a singularity bomb.
|Walking to Babylon|
|Big Finish Productions audio play|
|Writer||Kate Orman adapted by Jac Rayner|
|Executive producer(s)||Jason Haigh-Ellery|
|Set between||Beyond the Sun
|Length||1 hr 50 mins|
|Release date||November 1998|
In 1998, Walking to Babylon was adapted by Big Finish Productions into their third audio drama. The drama stars Lisa Bowerman as Bernice, but also features actor Elisabeth Sladen, better known for playing Sarah Jane Smith in the Doctor Who television series.
The adaptation was by Jac Rayner, who had also adapted the first release in the series, Oh No It Isn't!.
- Bernice Summerfield — Lisa Bowerman
- Ninan-ashtammu — Elisabeth Sladen
- Jason Kane — Stephen Fewell
- John Lafayette — Barnaby Edwards
- WiRgo!xu — Nigel Fairs
- !Ci!ci-tel — Anthony Keetch
- The Drone — Steven Wickham
- Miriam — Louise Morell
- Babylonian Child — Alex Canini
Walking to Babylon New Adventure
- Walking to Babylon at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Cloister Library - Walking to Babylon
- Walking to Babylon at The TARDIS Library
Walking to Babylon New Adventure reviews
- Walking to Babylon reviews at The Doctor Who Ratings Guide
- Walking to Babylon reviews at Outpost Gallifrey
Walking to Babylon audio adaptation
- Walking to Babylon (audio) at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- Walking to Babylon (audio) at The TARDIS Library
Walking to Babylon audio adaptation reviews
- Walking to Babylon (audio) reviews at The Doctor Who Ratings Guide
- Walking to Babylon (audio) reviews at Outpost Gallifrey