Wallace, North Carolina
|Wallace, North Carolina|
|• Total||2.6 sq mi (6.7 km2)|
|• Land||2.6 sq mi (6.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||52 ft (16 m)|
|• Density||1,299.5/sq mi (501.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1025771|
Wallace is located at (34.737248, -77.994627).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.6 square miles (6.7 km²), all land. Wallace's Mayor is Charlie Farrior
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,344 people, 1,329 households, and 862 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,299.5 people per square mile (502.4/km²). There were 1,440 housing units at an average density of 559.6 per square mile (216.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 55.65% White, 28.26% African American, 0.06% Native American, 0.24% Asian, 14.06% from other races, and 1.73% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 18.18% of the population.
There were 1,329 households out of which 28.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.0% were married couples living together, 15.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.1% were non-families. 31.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.96.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.6% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 27.0% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 19.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 85.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $25,422, and the median income for a family was $33,413. Males had a median income of $29,226 versus $16,250 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,380. About 18.8% of families and 23.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.6% of those under age 18 and 26.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Wallace has produced one Major League Baseball player: New York Giants pitcher Hank Boney. (b. October 28, 1903)
- Wallace is the birthplace of Wray Carlton, Running Back at Duke University and for the Buffalo Bills of the American Football League.
- Wallace is also the boyhood home of M. L. Carr who played basketball professionally overseas, and with the Detroit Pistons and Boston Celtics. He is currently a part owner of the Charlotte Bobcats.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.