Wallington High School
|Wallington Jr./Sr. High School|
|234 Main Avenue
Wallington, NJ 07057
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Wallington Public Schools|
|Vice principal||Gary Kicinski|
|Faculty||47.4 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||7 - 12|
|Enrollment||541 (as of 2011-12)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.40:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Interscholastic Conference|
Wallington Jr./Sr. High School is a six-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in seventh through twelfth grade from Wallington, in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Wallington Public Schools.
As of the 2011-12 school year, the school had an enrollment of 541 students and 47.4 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.40:1. There were 104 students (19.2% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 29 (5.4% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 223rd-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 239th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 204th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 200th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 206th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Wallington High School Panthers compete in the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference, comprising private and public high schools located in Bergen County, Passaic County and Hudson County, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. With 270 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as North I, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 117 to 478 students in that grade range. Prior to realignment that took effect in the fall of 2010, the school was a member of the Bergen County Scholastic League (BCSL) in the National Division.
The boys soccer team won the 2009 North I, Group I state sectional title with a 4-0 win vs. Leonia High School. The team won the 2010 North I, Group I state sectional tournament for a second consecutive year with a 2-1 win over Midland Park High School. The soccer team went on to win the Group I state championship, the first for the team in school history, with a win in the tournament finals against South River High School by a score of 1-0.
The football team won the 2010 North I Group I sectional championship, beating Mountain Lakes High School 23-21 at the New Meadowlands Stadium, for the program's first title since 1990. The defeat ended a 35-game winning streak for Mountain Lakes, at the time the longest such streak in New Jersey.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Michael Fromfield, Principal
- Gary Kicinski, Vice Principal
- Data for Wallington Jr Sr High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed September 28, 2014.
- Wallington High School Football, MaxPreps.com. Accessed June 23, 2012. "Mascot:Panthers Team:Varsity 12-13 Colors:Blue, White"
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed August 18, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 28, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for North I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed September 28, 2014.
- League Memberships - 2009-1010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 24, 2011. Accessed September 28, 2014.
- Boys Soccer - 2009 NJSIAA Tournament - North 1, Group 1, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 21, 2011.
- Kensik, Edward. "Panthers win the sectional crown", Community News, November 18, 2010. Accessed August 18, 2011. "Wallington boys soccer did its part by defeating Midland Park, 2-1, on Thursday to win the Group 1, North 1 state sectional title in Rutherford on the turf. Wallington raised its record to 21-2. This is the team's second consecutive sectional title."
- Boys Soccer - 2010 NJSIAA Tournament - North 1, Group 1, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 21, 2011.
- Giuffra, Brian A. "Wallington wins its first State soccer championship", The Record (Bergen County), November 21, 2010. Accessed August 21, 2011. "Plewa scored the game-winning goal in leading Wallington to a 1-0 victory over South River in the Group 1 boys soccer final, giving Wallington its first State championship in program history."
- Vasquez, Andy. "Wallington captures State title with 23-21 win over Mountain Lakes", The Record (New Jersey), December 3, 2010.Accessed August 21, 2011. "It wasn’t easy for Wallington, but the Panthers held off a feverish second-half rally from Mountain Lakes for a 23-21 win and the North 1, Group 1 title on Friday.Wallington (11-1) won its first State sectional title since 1990. And the final accomplishment – ending Mountain Lakes’ 35-game winning streak, the longest in New Jersey – secured the legacy of this squad."
- Home page, Wallington Jr/Sr High School. Accessed September 28, 2014.
- Wallington High School
- Wallington Public Schools
- Wallington Public Schools's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Wallington Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics