Wallkill Valley Regional High School
|Wallkill Valley Regional High School|
|Type and location|
|Address||10 Grumm Road
Hamburg, NJ 07419
|Business administrator||Joseph P. Hurley, Jr.|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||695 (as of 2011-12)|
|District Factor Group||DE|
|Wallkill Valley Regional High School|
|10 Grumm Road
Hamburg, NJ 07419
|Type||Public high school|
|Assistant principals||Taryn Benacquista
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference|
Wallkill Valley Regional High School is a four-year public high school and regional school district serving students in ninth through twelfth grades from four municipalities in Sussex County, New Jersey, United States. The school is located in Hamburg, approximately 40 miles (64 km) northwest of New York City.
The school is composed of four constituent districts: Franklin Borough, Hamburg Borough, Hardyston Township and Ogdensburg Borough. Each of these communities supports its own independent K-8 elementary school district. The combined population of the constituent districts is approximately 14,000. The total area covered by all districts is 42.9 square miles (111 km2).
As of the 2012-13 school year, the school had an enrollment of 695 students and 53.7 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.94:1. There were 112 students (16.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 16 (2.3% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The school has four Assistant Principals and 70 certified full and part-time faculty members, of which 64% hold a Masters Degree.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "DE", the fifth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Wallkill's program of studies features a wide range of courses taught on five levels of instruction. The levels are honors or advanced placement, academic, general, basic, and resource center. Areas of instruction include Art, Business, English, Foreign Language, Home Economics, Industrial Arts, Mathematics, Music, Computer Science, Physical Education, Science, and Social Studies. Advanced Placement (AP) courses are offered in AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP United States History, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, and AP Calculus. Students may also elect to take AP Tests even if the class is not offered. Several courses are available for college credit; they are based on the curriculum at Sussex County Community College.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 184th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 125th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 195th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 189th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 190th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
In the 2013-14 school year, Wallkill Valley Regional High School ranked third in Sussex County out of nine other public high schools in SAT scores.
There are 21 different athletic activities available to the students at Wallkill Valley. Many of these activities have three levels of participation including freshmen, junior-varsity and varsity. Several non-athletic activities are also available and leadership positions are sometimes available in each area. Some examples include Mock trial, Student Council, Math League, Environmental Club, and Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA).
The Wallkill Valley Regional High School Rangers participate in the Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 486 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as North I, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 481 to 749 students in that grade range. The school had participated in the Sussex County Interscholastic League until the SCIL was dissolved in 2009. The Athletic Director is Daryl Jones.
Sports offered by the school include:
- Football (Boys)
- Soccer (Boys & Girls)
- Cross Country (Co-ed)
- Field Hockey (Girls)
- Cheerleading (Year-round)
- Tennis (Boys & Girls)
- Basketball (Boys & Girls)
- Wrestling (Boys)
- Baseball (Boys)
- Softball (Girls)
- Golf (Co-ed)
- Bowling (Co-ed)
- Swimming (Co-ed)
- Ski Team (Co-ed)
- Indoor Track (Co-ed)
- Outdoor Track (Co-ed)
- Lacrosse (Boys)
- Edward Bolcar, Superintendent
- Joseph P. Hurley, Jr., Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Taryn Benacquista - Assistant Principal
- David Carr - Assistant Principal
- William Connors- Assistant Principal
- Vito Morgese - Assistant Principal
- School Data for Wallkill Valley Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Regular Meeting minutes, Wallkill Valley Regional High School Board of Education, October 26, 2010. Accessed March 16, 2011. "Clerks of the four municipalities of Franklin, Hamburg, Hardyston and Ogdensburg and also was posted on the bulletin board maintained by the Board of Education at the high school."
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 3, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 16, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for North I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- Home Page, Sussex County Interscholastic League, backed up by the Internet Archive, as of February 4, 2012. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- School and Community Profile, Wallkill Valley Regional High School. Accessed July 27, 2014.
- Board of Education, Wallkill Valley Regional High School. Accessed July 27, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for Sussex County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed July 27, 2014.
- Wallkill Valley Regional High School
- Wallkill Valley Regional High School's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for Wallkill Valley Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics