Wallkill Valley Regional High School
|Wallkill Valley Regional High School|
|Business Administrator:||Elizabeth Flatt|
|Address:||10 Grumm Road
Hamburg, NJ 07419
|Enrollment:||780 (as of 2010-11)|
|Faculty (in FTEs):||56.9|
|District Factor Group:||DE|
| %± vs.
|10||Operations & Maintenance||1,924||25||1,957||-1.7%|
|16||Median Teacher Salary||84,450||46||70,380|
|Data from NJDoE 2013 Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending.
*Of 9-12 districts with any number of students. Lowest spending=1; Highest=47
|Wallkill Valley Regional High School|
|10 Grumm Road
Hamburg, NJ 07419
|Type||Public high school|
|Assistant principals||Taryn Benacquista
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference|
Wallkill Valley Regional High School is a four-year public high school and regional school district serving students in ninth through twelfth grades from four municipalities in Sussex County, New Jersey, United States. The school is located in Hamburg, approximately forty miles northwest of New York City.
The school is composed of four constituent districts which include Franklin Borough, Hardyston Township, Hamburg Borough and Ogdensburg Borough. Each of these communities supports its own independent K-8 elementary school district. The combined population of the constituent districts is approximately 14,000. The total area covered by all districts is 42.9 square miles (111 km2).
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 780 students and 56.9 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.71:1. There were 70 students (9.0% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 20 (2.6% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The school has two Vice Principals and seventy certified full and part-time faculty members, of which 64% hold a Masters Degree.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "DE", the fifth highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Wallkill's program of studies features a wide range of courses taught on five levels of instruction. The levels are honors or advanced placement, academic, general, basic, and resource center. Areas of instruction include Art, Business, English, Foreign Language, Home Economics, Industrial Arts, Mathematics, Music, Computer Science, Physical Education, Science, and Social Studies. Advanced Placement (AP) courses are offered in AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP United States History, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, and AP Calculus. Students may also elect to take AP Tests even if the class is not offered. Several courses are available for college credit; they are based on the curriculum at Sussex County Community College.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 125th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 195th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 189th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 190th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
There are 21 different athletic activities available to the students at Wallkill Valley. Many of these activities have three levels of participation including freshmen, junior-varsity and varsity. Several non-athletic activities are also available and leadership positions are sometimes available in each area. Some examples include Mock trial, Student Council, Math League, Environmental Club, and Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA).
The Wallkill Valley Regional High School Rangers participate in the Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). Before the NJSIAA's reorganization, the school had competed in the Sussex County Interscholastic League until the 2009-10 school year. The school is categorized by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA) as North I, Group II.
Athletic Director: Daryl Jones
- Football (Boys)
- Soccer (Boys & Girls)
- Cross Country (Co-ed)
- Field Hockey (Girls)
- Cheerleading (Year-round)
- Tennis (Boys & Girls)
- Basketball (Boys & Girls)
- Wrestling (Boys)
- Baseball (Boys)
- Softball (Girls)
- Golf (Co-ed)
- Bowling (Co-ed)
- Swimming (Co-ed)
- Ski Team (Co-ed)
- Indoor Track (Co-ed)
- Outdoor Track (Co-ed)
- Lacrosse (Boys)
- Edward Bolcar, Superintendent
- Elizabeth Flatt, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Taryn Benacquista - Assistant Principal
- Vito Morgese - Assistant Principal
- School Data for Wallkill Valley Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Regular Meeting minutes, Wallkill Valley Regional High School Board of Education, October 26, 2010. Accessed March 16, 2011. "Clerks of the four municipalities of Franklin, Hamburg, Hardyston and Ogdensburg and also was posted on the bulletin board maintained by the Board of Education at the high school."
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 27, 2009.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 3, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 16, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2013-2014, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 12, 2013.
- Administration, Wallkill Valley Regional High School. Accessed October 12, 2013.
- New Jersey School Directory, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 12, 2013.
- Board Of Education, Wallkill Valley Regional High School. Accessed October 12, 2013.
- Wallkill Valley Regional High School
- Wallkill Valley Regional High School's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for Wallkill Valley Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics