|Province of Belgium|
|• Governor||Marie-José Laloy|
|• Total||1,090.56 km2 (421.07 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2012)|
|• Density||350/km2 (920/sq mi)|
Walloon Brabant (French: Brabant wallon, Dutch: Waals-Brabant (help·info), Walloon: Roman Payis) is a province of Wallonia in Belgium. It borders on (clockwise from the North) the province of Flemish Brabant (Flemish Region) and the provinces of Liège, Namur and Hainaut (Wallonia). Its capital is Wavre. It has an area of 1,093 km² and contains only one administrative district (arrondissement in French), the Arrondissement of Nivelles, with 27 municipalities.
Walloon Brabant was created in 1995 when the former Province of Brabant was split into three parts: two new provinces, Walloon Brabant and Flemish Brabant; and the Brussels Capital Region, which no longer belongs to any province. The split was made to accommodate the federalisation of Belgium in three regions (Flanders, Wallonia and Brussels).
The provincial population was recorded at 347,423 in January 1999, giving a population density of 318 inhabitants / km²
List of municipalities
- Beauvechain (Bevekom)
- Braine-l'Alleud (Eigenbrakel)
- Braine-le-Château (Kasteelbrakel)
- Hélécine (Heilissem)
- Jodoigne (Geldenaken)
- La Hulpe (Terhulpen)
- Nivelles (Nijvel)
- Orp-Jauche (Gete)
- Tubize (Tubeke)
- Wavre (Waver)
History, university, industry
Walloon in Walloon Brabant is likely one of the first uses of the word. Louis de Haynin wrote Belgium is a great country between France, Germany and the North Sea (...). This country is divided in two regions, Flanders and Wallonia (...). Wallonia is divided in (the following provinces...) Tournesis, Flandre wallonne, Haynaut, Namur, Principauté de Liège and Walloon Brabant. 
University and industry
The Université catholique de Louvain is located in this province. A part of the Walloon industrial power was out of the Sillon industriel as the steel industry of Clabecq where there is until now some activities. The Battle of Waterloo also took place in this province, the smallest province of Wallonia. Piétrain is a breed of domestic pig taking its name from Piétrain, a little village of Jodoigne in Walloon Brabant, and the most important town of this province is Nivelles with its Collegiate Church of Saint Gertrude and its westwork. The Ronquières inclined plane is on the Brussels-Charleroi Canal which connects, through the province, one of the main cities of the Sillon industriel, Charleroi, with the Capital of Belgium and the Port of Antwerp. In Rixensart, the company Recherche et Industrie Thérapeutiques (changed to GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals in 2000) is one of the world’s leading vaccine manufacturers, supplying around 25% of the world’s vaccines:
The castle of Corroy-le-Château, one of the best conserved castles of this period in Northern Europe was bought by a Flemish artist Wim Delvoye for EUR 3.3 million. He is planning to convert the Corroy-le-Château into a museum of modern art. The Louvain-la-Neuve Science Park is developing cooperation between industry and the Université catholique de Louvain and is contributing to regional economic development. It covers 231 hectares spread over the area of the town of Ottignies-Louvain-la-Neuve and the municipality of Mont-Saint-Guibert (30 km away from Brussels). The main areas of activity are: Life sciences, Fine chemistry; Information technologies, Engineering, 135 innovative companies, 4,500 employees, one business incubator.
Twin towns, Sister cities & Partnership cities
Walloon Brabant is twinned with:
- Population per municipality on 1 January 2012 (XLS; 214 KB)
- Louis de Haynin, Histoire générale des guerres de Savoie, de Bohême, du Palatinat et des Pays-Bas 1616-1627 par le seigneur Du Cornet, Gentilhomme belgeois, avec une introduction et des notes par A.L.P. de Robaulx de Soumoy, Bruxelles, 1868, Firstly published in 1628, pp. 6-7.French La Belge selon qu'elle est, pour le présent, est un grand pays entre la France, l'Allemagne, et la mer Océane […] Elle se my-partit ordinairement en deux régions presque esgalles, c'est à scavoir en belge wallonne et belge allemande ou flamande, selon aucuns. La Wallonne a pour provinces l'Artois, Lille Douay et Orchies autrement dite Flandre gauloise ou walonne: Cambresis, Tournesis, Haynaut et l'Estat de Valencennes, Namur, Lothier ou Brabant wallon, Luxembourgues et Prince-Bishopric of Liège.
- Dynamisme wallon, review of the Union Wallonne des Entreprises, décembre 2007
- Belgian artist buys castle for EUR 3.3m, expatica.com 2008-09-24
- 友好城市 (Friendly cities), 市外办 (Foreign Affairs Office), 2008-03-22. (Translation by Google Translate.)
- 国际友好城市一览表 (International Friendship Cities List), 2011-01-20. (Translation by Google Translate.)
- 友好交流 (Friendly exchanges), 2011-09-13. (Translation by Google Translate.)